Going on holiday for three weeks - risk of printer clog?

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Hi all,

i'm due to go away for three weeks soon and I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100s printer (dye based ink). Normally I make sure to print something every 2-3 days at least, just to keep ink flowing through the print head and to reduce the chance of clogs. However this obviously isn't going to be possible when I'm on holiday.

Three weeks seems a long time to leave it so I'm wondering if anyone on here has been in a similar situation and where there any solutions? Is there anyway to leave the printer on and tell it to print an A4 sheet every few days for instance?

TIA :)

Undervalued

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Have you experienced problems in the past and that is why you try to print every 2 to 3 days?

I have a Pro 100 (not S), bought second hand a couple of years ago, which I think uses the same ink. Mine often sits for several weeks between uses and I have never encountered a problem.

Mine has always been used with genuine Canon inks if that makes a difference.

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Hi, no not really had problems due to leaving the printer unused before, just read / seen general advice that leaving a printer more than a week increases the risk of clogs. I've have issues with clogging before but this was with a print head that was between 4-5 years old and had been used a lot, so I think I got my money's worth out of it. :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Three weeks seems a long time to leave it
You can go on holidays with peace of mind that you printer will be safe till you get back, before you leave run a nozzle check and then shut it down and throw a dust cover over it. And it will sit patently waiting to greet you in perfect working order on your return..

A well-loved and used printer won’t have any issues with such a short rest period.. Just run a nozzle check on your return..