Glue for case plastic?

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I am looking for a strong glue that will stick to Canon plastic cases. So far I have tried JB Weld but it does not stick very well, no mater how I rough up the plastic.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I believe that the Canon carts are made from Polypropylene - Google for an adhesive that will bond to it. Most common adhesive will not work.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Look for plastics specific glues... loctite do something along those lines.

Also consider super glues that use an activator (ie: a two part glue)...
Loctite have the "All plastics" version which I know works with canon cases.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Grandad35 after Google searching I do not think case plastic is Polypropylene. Model airplane glue will stick to case plastic but it will not stick to Polypropylene.
Found this link about identifying plastic but not mush help.
http://www.texloc.com/ztextonly/clplasticid.htm

You would think there would be all kinds of articles about TV and computer case plastic?

Websnail I will try some of the Loctite All Plastic Super Glue. I stopped using super glue because it would fog my thick reading glasses. LOL

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ron350 said:
You would think there would be all kinds of articles about TV and computer case plastic?
Not likely... it's like plastics recycling... if you look into it you discover that there's a veritable plethora (big words for me!) of different plastics.

From experience I know that you can use the Loctite All Plastics stuff but in all seriousness, do it outside or in a VERY well ventilated area as I've managed to get allergies from using a form of this stuff.. :(

Websnail I will try some of the Loctite All Plastic Super Glue. I stopped using super glue because it would fog my thick reading glasses. LOL
LOL... Well I've glued it but now I can't see... Great! :rolleyes:

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Glad you mentioned Plastic Welder I have some of that stuff. Not sure what is in it but the fumes are so bad they will give me a sinus infection if I use it in the house.
Years ago I used something with the same chemicals called Plas-T-Pair, choke ,choke, gag. LOL
Contains Methacrylate and Methacrylic acid what ever that is.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ron350 said:
I am looking for a strong glue that will stick to Canon plastic cases. ...............
I first assumed you were asking about the printer case, but some assumed otherwise.

Are you speaking of the printer case or the ink cartridge body ?

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Thank you Canonfodder I see now that Grandad35 was talking about the ink cartridge being made from Polypropylene.

Yes I am talking about the hard plastic case.