Getting ready to Purchase a new printer, need help!

directcurrent

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, it is a have to on the fax/ copy/ Sannner need--- I went down to officedepot a few days ago and was looking around, they are about the only one in this area still caring computer stuff, best buy is to high, walmart is about stop sell any computer or electronics stuff here and Kmart-well is kmart and pretty much it here. I was looking at a HP copy fax sanner put not sure if it can be refilled, it does have all the setup for refilling but still not sure to much about it. I have been looking for the MP780 but at the moment their does not seem to be any. Thought about going out tomorrow and look again.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You are unlikely to find any of the PGI-5 or CLI-8 based Canon products in any normal stores anymore. If you do it was likely a demo model that someone forgot about. About a year ago they were clearing out the last of that generation at really attractive prices so I doubt any stuck around. I suspect that like in many cities, word has gotten about the regression in the new model as opposed to advancement and they are all priced at a premium even used now. If you can find the previous generation, then don't think twice.

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It seems that Canon is the biggest cheater when it comes to ink. They lowered the capacity almost 50% from 13ml to 9ml and keep making it more difficult to hack the chip. If they wanted to sell a lot of printers it seems they would make one with a built in CIS and make the printer more expensive. Both HP and Epson have their perks with the new printers the ink cartridges are in a fixed position and Epson has pigment ink. If owned a printer company I would Have a CIS with a removable printer head that I could rinse out for extended storage. Maybe it would have exchangeable heads so it could use both dye and pigment inks. Oh yeah, and a removable waste tank. Make it so I could print up Ads and coupons and give them away subsidized by the Ads. Sounds like something Google might do.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
mikling said:
You are unlikely to find any of the PGI-5 or CLI-8 based Canon products in any normal stores anymore. If you do it was likely a demo model that someone forgot about. About a year ago they were clearing out the last of that generation at really attractive prices so I doubt any stuck around. I suspect that like in many cities, word has gotten about the regression in the new model as opposed to advancement and they are all priced at a premium even used now. If you can find the previous generation, then don't think twice.
I agree. For now, the only way to find a new one is watching local Kijiji or Craigslist ad. Yesterday, I saw a Kijiji ad for a new-in-box PIXMA Pro9000 without the ink cartridges for $190. It was gone in couple of hours.

directcurrent

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hay Guys need your opion on the Epon Artisan 810. Was looking it over and it did not look to bad. it is a fax,copy,printer,scanner, photo The saleman was nice enough to set it up and let me play with it , I played with it for about 1 1/2 hrs and did not found any thing wrong with it I also notice It has an Eithenet connector so I could use it for the other three computers I have and one is some 200 ft from the house. When I ask the price he first said 200.00 but I had showed him a ad from the internet for 124.00. He went to the manager and he came back with the price of 145. plus the full (Heave useage)printer cartridge kit which he say is rechargeable, it is saperate Black and 4 sets of color cartridges. You Think that he was right in saying it is re-charable ?
Where would I found the ink recharge for it? Do you think the recharge would be HI?
What do you think of the price?
I came home after chuing him down on DVD cases, I show him I could get the a 10 pack of DVD cases for 5.99 at Kmart vs his 9.99 price. But that is getting off the subject. I looked at reveiws from different sorces and it has a score of 4.6 to a 5 scale.
This was at a Officedepot. :| and =| produces

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You should read the two articles the Websnail just wrote. The Artisan 810 is probably like the 800 which has a woefullly inadequate waste ink tank, something you would never realize by playing with the printer in the store.