Getting carts with print heads to work

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After using various cleaning methods to unclog the carts, I resorted to centrifugal force. I placed each cart with the head sitting in a pad of tissue soaked in metho placed in a plastic bag. This I twisted up and swung in circles. The force applied to the ink plus the softening of the clogged ink gradually allowed the ink to flow through.

I had to repeat it about 10 times between soaking the head in a dish of metho. I had left my HP720c unused when I got a RX530 to scan and print transparencies. The HP carts were actually almost empty which was probably a contributing factor but are now as good as new. I have been filling them dozens of times and I believe provided they are reasonably full there is less chance of blocking and now with my monitor I should have warning when the levels get low.

The Epson is a different kettle of fish, I was wondering if in fact the heads do start to clog, if I could fill a spare cart with an ink thinner, doing a clean cycle to free the nozzles up.

I am still after a method for this model to cancel the waste tank indicator when it occurs. I have no trouble refilling this printer and the quality of ink I have found is as good as the original.

Photo paper is the big expense for me now, the cost of ink is negligible.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
InkMon, I think I can help you with the cost of Photo paper. There has been all kinds of information to verify that "Kirkland Premimum Photo pater is excellent paper and is the lowest cost we can find anywhere. You can buy it at CostCo. Kirkland is the CostCo brand. People believe that this is really Ilford paper packaged by Costco. Anyway, it has been tested by many people, including myself, and we can verify it is as good as Canon original paper.

As far as the waste ink reset procedure for the Rx530, I'll see if I can find the Service Manual for that printer and see what it says.

Bud

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
InkMon,... I looked at several places and can't find anything at the Epson web site for a RX530 all-in-one. You said it Scans and prints transparancy, therefore it should be an all in one. Is that the right number???

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That's the right model available in Oz. there is a 6 colour version too. I also replied to your email.

I selected it because the monitor would not fail when using a chip re setter. It can probably be said that others are better but there is always a trade off.

Terry

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
SSC utility is your friend here but make sure you know what you're doing. Also there is the factory reset software that bobs around the net and do remember that after one reset, you should take care of the waste ink pads either by changing the pads ( lots of work) or putting a line to an external collection bottle.

Head cleaner is mainly clear ink. As long as you keep normal ink moving in the Epson any deposits will be dissolved by the new ink, you won't have head clogging. However, whatever method you choose to refill, you MUST determine if that method is foolproof in making sure that no air is ingested into the printhead. Air is the problem in the Epson when it occurs, not really CLOGS unless you've left the printer in storage for extended periods. Air can get in with poor seals.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would be interested to track down a factory reset for my machine.

The printer repairers guard this procedure which I believe is an illegal act.

What if you were not allowed to put air in your tires. My Epson has 4 ink tanks no sponge and after the chip has been reset the monitor works. Talking about a head cleaner I was thinking that if I got an empty cart and filled it with cleaner I could use this in a bad clog situation. I do make sure that the carts are at least 30% full when I refill.I believe it wise to keep a good head of ink above the print head.

My method of recovering HP type carts have always worked for me. I have even heard of a club who uses ordinary fountain ink to refill with. Perhaps that was for print heads not so fine. The stories you hear. Give me a good quality ink some surgeons gloves(Cure for ink fingers) a syringe and a pad of newspaper and some metho for clean up and I can even fill my fountain pen. I didn't really like that shirt.

For me its all about my trusty HP720c printer that prints and prints and prints.

Terry