Generic Toner Cartridges, Are They A Poor Investment?

Mulsiphix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm curious if toner cartridges have similar dangers that ink cartridges do. Is toner completely safe due to a "can't really get it wrong" technology/design or are there similar variables with toner that you find with ink based systems (example: ink type, non/pressurized cartridges, horrible quality or even non-printer ink, auto-reset/recognition chips, etc...). A new official high-yield toner cartridge is going to set me back $220 while a generic one will cost me $107. However, if there is significant risk to my printer itself, as was the case with my HP 7680, I don't think its worth taking the chance. Any suggestions, thoughts, advice, etc... would be most appreciated.

Printer Model: Konica Minolta PagePro 5650EN
Toner Cartridge: Konica Minolta Black High Capacity Toner (Part #: A0FP012)
Generic Equivalent: Compatible Konica Minolta A0FP012 Black Laser Toner Cartridge

My Previous Mistake Cost Me $800+
Just some quick background; I previously bought an HP 7680 All-In-One Printer and used a CISS. It turns out that the retail/official HP88 ink cartridges are pressurized so my CISS essentially ruined my printer. Sadly I didn't learn about the pressurized cartridges until wasting more money. I had assumed it was either the CISS, type of ink, or HP 7680 that was faulty. So I purchased a second 7680, different brand CISS, and different type of ink (first was dye based, second was pigment based). After this fiasco I left ink behind and went with a laser jet and toner.

Mulsiphix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I might go to find out more about this subject? I can find plenty on ink but nothing really about toner. Any links or feedback would be most appreciated.