generic ink ok?

skykathfly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi
My epson photo r200 died a few weeks ago (it stoppedspooling paper though, a lot of spinning but just wouldn't feed any though). But it was under warenty so took I it to be replaced, pcworld gave me a new one no problems.

However, they said that the reason it broke was because I have been using generic ink cartiredges rather than the epson ones. They said that they cause the printer to short circuit. I was wondering if this is true or bs?

Thanks.

Hendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

Were you using generic ink?

Did the printer short, or did it have a paper pickup problem?

Does the warranty state that if generic ink damages you printer your warranty is void?

skykathfly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi
Yes, I was using generic ink, Xprint ink from www.abitech-ink.co.uk, works out at 3 a cartridge. I am not sure whether it says it voids the waarrenty, but it wasn't an issue as I had paid 20 for a 3 year no quibble replacement deal so I just got a new one. The printer just wouldn't pick up the paper, and if I really forced it though it went though wonky and came out all screwwed, although somethimes the printer would only print on half the page but I always put this down to being left on for too long (like a few days). The pcworld man said that some chip in the cartridge shorts the printer, and I wanted to know if this is right before I go using cheap-o ink again. thanks for your time.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm,

Lets see-----printer is not feeding paper---sounds more like bad paper gripping due to bad roller---but printer is going through the motions------where is the electrical short circuit??????????ipso ergo---the problem is mechanical not electrical.-------and the ink has absolutely nada zipo zip with the problem you had.--unless by remote chance ink spilled onto the paper roller mechanism.--and that in turn would in general only be caused by a printer with a mechanical defect.

But epson rep or whoever by knee jerk reaction always blames the ink. The only debate remaining is do you call them a liar or an idiot?---------this poster is in favor of using both terms and inviting them to say the same thing in a court of law under oath.--next thing you know they will tell you that generic ink will cause your hair to fall off and cause squirrels to get into your attic.

On a more serious note---bad generic ink can cause printer damage---but that usually shows up by clogging the printhead or not feeding the printhead properly.-------good inks recommended by these forums will be everybit as reliable as OEM ink.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Osage's information is 100% correct. The problem is your rollers. Nothing else has caused your problem.

skykathfly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help, Hendo, Osage and Manuchau.
:)

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you read your warranty it will say they will not be liable for any damage CAUSED by use of non-genuine inks.

Quite rightly too, if you filled your car with something other than petrol you wouldnt expect them to replace your engine under warranty.

Your warrany should stand with the people who sell you the ink - Cartridge World offer a warranty with their cartridges that if their inks were to damage your printer then they would repair/replace it.

If you buy an ink cartridge from any of these suppliers then they must not sell you something that will damage your equipment. They would be liable to replace/repair and would not have a leg to stand on if it were to go to court. A quick e-mail to the supplier saying my "printer worked fine, i've put your cartridges in and now it doesnt, what will you be doing about it?", usually kicks them into gear.

Likewise if an un-related fault should develop, such as paper feeding, that can IN NO WAY be from the ink then the printer manufacturer are OBLIGED to repair the printer F.O.C.

Being in the business i've argued this case with canon engineer's and canon tech support and won on all occasions.

Dont accept the bull from the company trying to shirk the responsibility.

Regs,

D