G6020 Woes Black no print and now 5B00

madmachinist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G6020
OK so I was working on my car transmission and found this great book on it. Hey lets print all 300 pages. No problem I have a PIxma G6020 ( yeah get real). after like 40 pages print especially black is gone. I play with the features like clean and deep clean and purge. Then I see this you tube on cleaning the cartridge with syringe and solution. Get the kit went through whole bottle of solution, no luck. Then I use HOT distilled water. I let the cartridge print area lie in a coffee saucer with that and start injecting it into hole. NO luck. But plenty of black ink came out even after I thought it was bone dry. no luck again. Every time print nozzle check pattern and no black. Once I sprayed brake cleaner on the print cartridge and had some luck, but very little clack got printed. I guess I did the purge thing one too many times and now I got the dreaded 5B00 .

Here is what I need.
A.) how do I get to and change those absorber pads. In my case most likely will be cleaning drying and reusing them.
B.) How do I reset that 5B00 counter
C.) could my problem be beyond the black print head not working? Will a new print head solve my problems? How do I diagnose if it is something else?

Thanks for all the help everyone. Been through youtube and what not but no specific help for PIxma G6020. None of those hold down this button and press that button business seemed to work.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not sure that a brake cleaner is a recommended cleaner to fix inkjet printer problems, but anyway - you need the latest version of the Canon service tool V5510 which you can find on the internet against a charge, and if the waste ink pads are full they need to be replaced as well, here would help a service manual , the ink pads are not easily user replaceable

madmachinist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G6020
I'm not sure that a brake cleaner is a recommended cleaner to fix inkjet printer problems, but anyway - you need the latest version of the Canon service tool V5510 which you can find on the internet against a charge, and if the waste ink pads are full they need to be replaced as well, here would help a service manual , the ink pads are not easily user replaceable
didn't know about V5510. Thanks for that. What is a 'charge? Does this look legit? https://www.anonyshu.com/2022/04/canon-resetter-service-tool-st5510-free-download.html

"the ink pads are not easily user replaceable" that scares me. wish there was a video or pictorial showing some one disassembling a G6020.
Thanks

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have no experience with the Canon ink tank printers, only with some Canon and HP printer models from before the ink tank printers.

The ink tank printers are based on two cartridge printers with an added CIS. The printheads are modified combined sponge and printhead cartridges and unmodified cartridges seem to have a shorter life span than the printheads for individual ink cartridges. I think this also applies to the modified cartridges.

Maybe it is time for a new black print head ? I don't know if new ink absorbers can be found on the web so maybe it is time for a new printer instead?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Newer Megatank models come with a user replaceable waste ink box - MC -G02 - Maintenance Cartridge - which solves all issues with ink pads, the counter reset and service software.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The ink tank printers are based on two cartridge printers with an added CIS. The printheads are modified combined sponge and printhead cartridges and unmodified cartridges seem to have a shorter life span than the printheads for individual ink cartridges. I think this also applies to the modified cartridges.
From what I’ve learned, these OEM Mega printers are just as troublesome to maintain as the user installed CISS systems of old, at least when a user’s installs their own CISS they were more familiar with and had the ability to solve most of the ongoing issues..

The original idea of the CISS was that you didn’t have to worry about chips or running out of ink, that was true to a certain extent, but no one ever mentioned the niggling maintenance issues associated with them.. And there are lots..

Mega tank printer need to be used on a daily basis, (Everyday) otherwise they cause no end of trouble for the home users.. Be mindful of these free lunch offers..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Do you think that those awfully expensive Maxify megatanks suffer also from that kind of problems ?. They're supposed to be high duty office machines, not run.of.the.mill home units.'
Higher level Canon pro printers (Pro-1000 and above) have too a sort of CISS system, because ink tanks are stationary and ink is delivered to the printhead by an internal tubing/reservoir system. AFAIK these printers are very reliable in this matter, so Canon must use a totally different approach to ink delivery.

madmachinist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G6020
I have no experience with the Canon ink tank printers, only with some Canon and HP printer models from before the ink tank printers.

Maybe it is time for a new black print head ? I don't know if new ink absorbers can be found on the web so maybe it is time for a new printer instead?
they have print heads for this only $25.00 . My real problme now is that ink counter. seems like I need to get in touch with Canon.

madmachinist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G6020
Canon takes care of nothing. They offer an upgrade, the details of which they don't give you, but they give you a phone number with a half hour wait time. Utterly disappointed with canon. Now since this printer is junk I am not afraid to do whatever it takes to either fix or kill it. upgrade is a 10% discount. Not even worth the wait on the phone.

Last edited:

madmachinist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G6020
local ( 45 minute drive away to dreaded Orlando) printer repair guy here said that the ink sponge is located below the print head park area and its just a sensor. When the sensor is made everything shuts down. If I were to take some paper towels and sponge that up the error goes away. NO counter to reset or anything. Man I wish he is right. Sound right to you all?