Printer Model
MB5150

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm still a simple tinkercad guy myself. I've thought about Fusion 360, but I just don't design often enough, or complex enough things to take on the learning curve required.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
who doesn't want to make a Lego brick :)
I use Fusion 360 as little as possible, because it confuses the Feck out of me and I spend far more time trying to design the simplest of things than with any other App. It’s like Lost in Space, you’re getting there, but where is there..?

Next time I need a missing Lego block I’ll be sure to look up this thread again..:lol:

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've had a long-standing love/hate relationship with Fusion 360, and have only developed a modest level of incompetence due to Autodesk's binding of Eagle CAD with Fusion 360. (Weird aside: I'm currently evacuated from my home in N. Cal due to wildfires and am staying in a hotel next to Autodesk's HQ.) FWIW, I have found in general that 3D CAD is something I struggle with. Apparently, the way those desiging 3D software approadh UI is rooted in a different universe from where I come from. Given that I spent close to 20 years writing GUIs, I do find it strange I have such difficulties with this one class of software.
When it comes to 3D CAD, if a design requires much beyond a simple cube, it's going to be a hair-pulling challenge. When it comes to tutorials I used to really like Lars Christensen's videos. Sadly, they are now so far out of date due to the redesign of the software's UI that they only increase the frustration.
I have a subscription to the Youtube Channel for the link Redbrickman noted. His latest tutorials for the "Absolute Beginner" have been updated to reflect the new UI. So, anything he's done since last Sept. can be quite useful.

Phill ODonoghue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
I confess I have tried to learn Fusion 360 but I don't spend enough regular time on it for it to stick in my mind, either that or I'm just too old o_O

If you do decide to have a go I can recommend this excellent set of tutorials, and besides, who doesn't want to make a Lego brick :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrLOPJq_stc&list=PLrZ2zKOtC_-DJuRQXapOljLBQxAfRoh3S&index=10
Without 'blowing my own trumpet' I say stick with it and do some of the excellent tutorials which are about.

I am an old hobbyist and I have picked up the basics which enable me to 3d Print just about anything that I need to build.

Fusion 360 has a few quirks to get over but once you master these it is a most intuitive and natural application to use and you will rarely have to look for answers.

It is like driving a F1 racer as your daily drive. It has so much power and performance that makes it a breeze to drive once you get over the initial learning curve.

If you are starting out I recommend learning 360 over Tinkercad but if you have already gone down the Tinkercad path you have the advantage of working with a similar User Interface.

The main difference in learning between TInkercad and Fusion 360 is that in Tinkercad you start with a predefined shape and remodel that shape. In 360 you start with a sketch (a plan) view and extrude shapes from there.

Autocad's market is the hi-end qualified production builder and the professional users pay a premium ($$$) for the software. Autocad amazingly make the software free to use for hobbyist like me and I am forever grateful for that.

Phill

Latest posts