Full disclosure of printer addiction + discussion on next steps

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
My name is Rob and I'm a printer hoarder!

Here is the printer inventory at our house:

Using:
Canon MP 750 - All in one - Just started throwing the dreaded "wrong cartridge" error.
Brother HL2170W Laser - Works great and is Ethernet connected so my wife can print when my PC isn't on.

Not Using:
Canon i860 - In storage since getting the MP 750. I used the print head from this one into the MP 750 for the past 3 years and left the new MP750 head in the original packaging.
Canon i560 Refurbished - Three (yes three) in box refurbished printers (from Fry's when they had them on sale for $29 with brand new Canon carts).
HP LasertJet 4 Plus - on its way out

So, here's the current situation: As stated above my MP750 just started with the "wrong cartridge" error. I've tried all the suggested fixes to no avail. Seems most people are unsuccessful at fixing this problem without a new print head.

I'd really like to do the following:
Ditch both "using" printers
Get a laser All In One (at Costco either the Brother MFC-7440N or the Canon ImageCLASS MF4350d)
Use the i560's for color printing (I like the thought of having instant replacement parts as backups).

I've got the extra brand new print head, but do I put it into the i860 or into the MP750, but that leaves me with a good printer or all in one with no printhead. Do I keep the working one or sell it? I guess if I'm selling I'd be best off putting the head into the MP750?

What do you guys think?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
hold on to those old bci-6 printers for ever! I'm using an i960 with one replaced printhead and my wife is using an ip5000. I have a brand new ip5000 on the shelf in the original sealed box and another i960 that has had lots of use and MAY still be OK - cleaned and dried the printhead and put it with the reserve ip5000. For text docs I now have an HP 3005 that handles card stock and envelopes really well and has a mulitple sheet aux feed tray and multiple sheet paper exit tray in the back for straight paper path. No more printers needed for at least a few days. With separate scanner, copy machine, and fax I don't need an AIO.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Well, I ended up going ahead and getting the Brother MFC-7440N from Costco (I LOVE their return policy). The network connectivity is what pushed me over the edge. Now my wife can print and scan without my computer on and without bothering... er... asking me to do it. ;)

I'll definitely never get rid of the i560's. Right now my biggest question is what to do with the i860 and MP750 and just one new / working printhead.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Okay, today I was cleaning and found my brand new i860 / MP750 print head. I'd like to put it into the MP750 and get it working to give to a friend, but part of me is worried that possibly something in the printer will fry this brand new head.

I guess I could put it in my i860 and just toss the MP750, but that just feels so terribly wasteful to me... even if it goes to a "recycling" center.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
According to this http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Peripherals/Printers_Scanners/Q_22701762.html

"Started having trouble with our 3 year old Canon Multipass MP730 printer yesterday. It began displaying "wrong cartridge" message and showing that it has pages in memory [etc]"

but then a month later he writes

"Update on this question. I eventually did purchase the print head and replaced the part. This approach did in fact work for me. Installation was simple, just as described and the printer is back to working normal."

So that MP750 is probably fine and you had just squeezed all life from that old printhead.

But having so many printers around you... its a headache! Personally I would give away as many as possible and keep the laser MFC and a photo color inkjet.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ya, for sanity sake I need to cut down on printers (I didn't even mention the brand new in box Epsons I have in the garage that were free with camera purchases or the printers in my mom's house which is attached to our place).

Maybe I'll put the new head in the MP750 and if it works I can give that away then I trash the i860. I can use one of my i560's for color printing and the new Brother All In One for everything else.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I wonder how canon is going to ruin the ip4600? Since it seems they are on a constant downhill path, I wonder how long before the new generation of printers is going to fare. Then we'll all be clinging to our cli-221 printers because the only thing canon has left to do is mandate the dreaded tri-color cartridge with 7.5 cc total ink volume like the much hated HP 95/98 printers, ya know they'll do it for convenience to the consumer cause it's what the consumer "demanded".

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Most likely we'll be hanging on to our models that use the PGI-5 and CLI-8 easy-to-fill-and-reset models for few years to come. These are very similar to the BCI-3 and BCI-6 series and are very reasonable to operate, especially if you refill your own.

There are still some models available and I have hoarded quite a few of them. Grab them while you can.

Too bad Canon is on a downward spiral. They had increased their market share over the last few years, but looks like their "run" is slowing down now.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Canon's profit was down like I believe 86% over the last quarter or two.
You can bet they will be tightening on the printer supply revenue side. HP reported that their earnings was OK as printer supplies kept revenue steady.
Canon will be trying the same formula.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Good news: I love my new Brother All In One laser. And my trusty refurb i560 is working like a champ.

Problem: I'm still stuck on what to do with the old printers! Here is what I have to get rid of... tell me the best / easiest way to get rid of this stuff:

Used i860
Used MP750
Brand new printhead that should work in either machine. I say should because I can't guarantee that once I bust open the mylar package that the new head will work perfectly in either old printer.

So, do I:

Sell the new printhead on ebay and trash both printers? This is easiest by far, but I struggle with tossing possibly good printers.

Risk opening the new printhead and putting it into one of the printers and if it works sell it on CraigsList or ebay?

I honestly think I'd get more money selling the brand new printhead on ebay than trying to sell a used printer on CL or ebay.

Help me out here guys! What would you do?