For Impatient 3D Printing Peeps Like Me - Volcano !!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yup, I'm impatient, like to print fast, and am usually fine trading off quality for speed.

That being the case, this hack is RIGHT up my alley!

I just need to buy a few 0.8 volcano nozzles and I should be good to go!

(oh, and print a new extended fan duct)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Wow that’s some change, if you really want to print faster, but is it worth it ?

You’re going to have to change over a lot more things than you imagine and it’s not as easy as he’s suggesting, I reckon the @Nifty method of using a larger nozzle size to print faster is as good as anything else and without the extra hassle and down time.

This guy’s Volcano block idea is very interesting and demonstrate how to print faster using his method, but is printing that much faster all its made out to be. !

I was anxious to try out the Flexi filament a while ago, and decided to buy an all new heater block that would help make it possible, but the amount of things I had to change to accommodate this new radiator block and nozzle was in the end not worth the Feckin effort. Both it and I failed..
1660639387039.png

The point of printing something is to have it come out properly the first time, regardless of how long it takes, because for me printing speed isn’t an issue, so I can’t see myself trying his new Volcano method just to gain 30 minutes or so.

I use the point 5 nozzle which is bigger than 4 but smaller than 6, and I suppose you could say I get the best of both worlds, but no, my method doesn’t print any faster than with the regular point 4 nozzle.. Why ?

I’ve set the nozzle size in the slicer to the standard point 4 and this seems to eliminate most if not all feeding issues, extrusion problems are no longer a problem, clogs, what clogs !. I’ve had no breakdowns on quality so far.. Reliability is important for me..

I print with no supervision and I only return when the print is finished, I use the extra time to design something else instead of standing over the printer waiting, and on a mutable print project having two or more printers is the greatest asset..

P.S. I do sometimes get a fur ball when the print fails to stay stuck to the hotbed. Ops..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
DON’T get lured by the ‘print faster’ bait.
A regular heater cartridge (usually 40w) can melt only a certain amount of filament per second, Let’s call this figure ‘X’.
No matter how fast the extruder pulls filament, how big the diameter of the nozzle, or fancy pseudo volcano nozzles, you can’t exceed X. If the slicer settings demands 2X your printer will be in trouble: extruder clicking, underextrusion, clogs.

BTW that contrivance of a nut added to the nozzle is a recipe for problems too. More likely than not, the seal between the top of the nut and the bottom of the heatbreak or the bottom of the nut and the nozzle will be less than optimal, resulting in filament leaks above the heater block or between nut and nozzle.

Doctor Wizard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610, Brother L8260CD
I made a few cheap and simple mods to my Voxelab Aquila (Ender 3 clone) and got a 12X increase in speed with the only decrease in quality being a little more noticeable ringing (but not bad).
Mods include:
  1. Solid copper heat block ($10)
  2. 50 Watt heater cartridge ($1)
  3. Bi-metallic Titanium/Copper heat break ($6)
  4. BMG Clone extruder ($14)
  5. UniTak direct drive bracket ($11)
  6. CHT Chinese clone High-Flow nozzle (<$3)
Grand total, <$50. All available from Amazon. Just basic electro-mechanical skills required. Time invested < 2hrs. Should work on any Ender-like printer with the MK8 or MK9 type hotend. Pro'ly other styles as well.
I also switched to Klipper and that probably helped as well. Not sure how well the Marlin or stock firmware could handle those speeds. I have yet to tune the pressure advance and input shaping in Klipper and I'm hoping that should eliminate most of the ringing and possibly give me even more speed.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am the opposite, I’m not much into speed with my 3D printers, I don’t care how long it take to complete any project just as long as it does it properly.. It sometimes takes weeks to design something, so what’s the hurry to print..

It’s worth doing it at a speed that the printer can cope with for any project, some of my stuff has taken months to complete, but if not done properly then the wind will show up your mistakes rather quickly..

My longest print was 108 hours… Approx..

Doctor Wizard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am the opposite, I’m not much into speed with my 3D printers, I don’t care how long it take to complete any project just as long as it does it properly.. It sometimes takes weeks to design something, so what’s the hurry to print..

It’s worth doing it at a speed that the printer can cope with for any project, some of my stuff has taken months to complete, but if not done properly then the wind will show up your mistakes rather quickly..

My longest print was 108 hours… Approx..
Excellent points and I feel pretty much the same way, probably many of us do--- except I have huge backlog of predesigned stuff from Thingaverse and other sites I wanna print. And then there is the Christmas light clips I designed that I need to print hundreds of. Or when prototyping that's all the much sooner I can try a test fit, make corrections, and then print the next version.
Getting ready to try out some new cheap Chinese clone "CHT" High-Flow nozzles. The Chinese clone ones are supposedly better than the originals according to multiple reviews. Expecting another boost from them and wondering what the next bottleneck will be.

Doctor Wizard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
The best way to clear your backlog is to have several printers all going at once, that's what I do..:weee
Lack the $$$, and especially lack the space. Live in a "tiny house" and my printer is crammed in a corner as it is. 😠 Actually would be a nice size if I wasn't such a pack rat!