Flushing CLI-42 carts with tap water (yes or no?)

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
I've recently flushed a full set of CLI-42 carts using luke warm tap water to clean them. This was after 100's of refills on the same carts and I noticed that the flow was getting less and less with a lot of them so time for a flush. They are all working fine except for the yellow one which has being refilled a few times since been flushed but is now banding when printing, so looks like ink starvation. I've run several cleaning cycles with the print head (inc. one deep one) and it doesn't solve the problem. When initially printing it's okay but about 1/3 down the page the yellow starts to band / fade, so I'm thinking problem with the ink cart rather than the head.

I've been told elsewhere that flushing with tap water is okay, but this morning was advised by the person I get my replacement inks from to NEVER flush a cart with tap water, as even when the cart is fully dry it will still contain dissolved minerals in the sponge and this can cause the cart not to work.

I asked him if it would be okay to do the initial flush with tap water but then rinse it through several times with distilled / de-ionised water to flush out any dissolved minerals. He said he wasn't actually sure if this would work or not. I think he uses some sort of cleaning fluid for the whole process so doesn't use distilled water either.

Does anyone on here have an opinion? How do you flush your carts and should I be avoiding tap water altogether, or can I do the initial flush with it as long as I flush again a few times with distilled / deionised water?

*edit* I've attached a photo. This is after I refilled it 100% (was at about 60% full previously I'd say) and let it sit for about 20mins. There appears to be quite a few patchy areas and one of these is near the outlet and a small band running along the bottom. I'm guessing this might be the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_8081.JPG
    IMG_8081.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I've recently flushed a full set of CLI-42 carts using luke warm tap water
Warm tap water is fine but finish off with window cleaner and let the cart sit for ½ an hour, then flush with distilled water and let them dry, it’s a job for a few days so don’t rush it. I’m still using CLI-8 carts from 2010..

That said my tap water is 100% neutral with not a trace of minerals, but the above method will still work regardless of water quality.. Patience is the key, O’ the yellow cart probably needed just a little bit of extra care..

P.S. this will help to dry the cars faster..
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/draining-a-canon-cartridge.4760/post-72723

W. Fisher

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epsons, Canons, Brother.
I have a white cartridge filter on my main water line and it gets a rusty-red color on it when I change it. Lots of sand on it and a lot in the bottom of the filter's tank too. Often when they shut the water main off for repair, the surge coming back on blows a lot of stuff in the line (Someitmes they will open fire hydrants so the inflow rush will not go into the homes and plug up faucets, valves, etc..). Even with the filter on the main, stuff still gets into the bottom of the toilet tank when I change the valve in it, and some white calcium deposits on the flapper valve seal as well. Filter doesn't trap all the crud.

Personalty, I'd be leery of using unfiltered tap water. A bottle from the store might be safer, least where I live.

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
I actually work for my local water authority so know better than most what's in it. :D

It's safe enough to drink but given the area of the UK I live in, it does have quite a high mineral content.