[Fix?] Canon printer suddenly refuses to power up

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I thought I'd share this one as I came across it in the past week when two out of a bunch of 6 canon printers decided to quit completely on me with no warning and as far as I can tell no reason.

All attempts to replace the power cable, fuses in plugs, etc... resulted in the printer doing absolutely nothing.. no power indication, no lights, nada.

So, thinking the power unit in the printer had failed due to some power spike or something, I was trying to replace an MP830 power with that from an MP800. I'd managed to release the clips holding the power unit into the printer and unhooked the cables running from it to the printers circuit boards, when I realised the MP800's power unit was the wrong shape, or just plain wrong.. So after some cursing I opted to push the wiring plugs back into the relevant ports. On a complete whim I then plugged in the power cable again and hit the power button...

... imagine my surprise when the damned thing powered up again!.

I've since repeated this routine with the other printer (an ip4300) that had suffered the same fate and got the same result (ie: printer back up and working).

Near as I can figure out, removing the power cord and then uncoupling the power supply unit from the internal connectors, before reconnecting them and replacing the power cord, somehow resets something in the printer and/or the power unit.

Worked for me twice so who knows, it may work for you too.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sounds like a loose wire to me.
Maybe a contact got oxidized.
Whatever it was I hope it's gone for good.
:)