Firsttime Printer Buyer- Suggestions Best types of Printers

Dubitr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello Forum,

As the subject suggest, I am a first time printer buyer. I am looking for the following:

1. Print Quality (the best for my price range $0-$80 USD) <----that includes discounts
2. Ink Refill ( At work we use a Lexmark OfficePro, like the ink quality and the printing but my goodness you pay for those cartridges) <---I am a cheap wad and poor
3. Scanning Quality
4. Automatic Feeder

Basically, I am looking for a multifunction or all-in-one printer (but don't care about fax). Usage will mainly be scanning/copying documents (that's why I want automatic feeder), Scanning in art work (Flat bed scanning), Printing documents (
Resumes, Tax junk, bills), Fun stuff like printing of pictures from art sites and deviant art. Consumption will be to light to medium heavy usage So a pack of 500 sheets should last 6-8 months.

Pigment ink is what I want to use. Also ease to refill it a bonus the less complicated the better! ( Now I am really into art so I have no quarms going to art stores to get pigments and I don't mind getting a little dirty)

Do you have any suggestions what would be a good printer for a novice like me? (Also if you don't mind please mention the brand, I see a lot of diehards that just say mg8220 and I am like what's that? )

Thanks for your assistance!

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
If you absolutely want a pigment ink printer, maybe the Epson WF-2520 would work for you. it's inexpensive and uses pigment ink. Refillable cartridges with reset chips are available for it. This is a four color printer.

Have you considered looking for a used Canon all-in-one printer? That would be my first choice. The CLI-8 or CLI-221 cartridge models are nice. It's easy to refill the OEM carts. They use pigment ink for text and dye for pictures. A good used Canon with proper care might last you a bit longer than a low-cost Epson. The Canon MG8220 is a good choice but out of the price range you mentioned and uses dye ink.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Have you considered a Brother inkjet printer? We've been using MFC model using CISS - we have it for around 2 years and no problems so far.