Fine Art paper for Digital prints

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
budget cast coated glossy papers don't go very well with pigment inks, that's those papers with a paper like back, the better RC glossy papers have a very thin PE foil layer on both sides of the paper, under the inkjet coating on the printable side.

Taksmon

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805, SC-P600
budget cast coated glossy papers don't go very well with pigment inks, that's those papers with a paper like back, the better RC glossy papers have a very thin PE foil layer on both sides of the paper, under the inkjet coating on the printable side.

If only I had known that sooner o_O

image-20161115_001404.jpg

pixelhero

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
So I should only really buy the Resin Coated papers?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you won't get happy with cast coated papers and pigment inks, the problem is that not all suppliers tell you which type of paper they sell. You can assume that premium papers are RC type with PE barrier foils, first you see a difference in print quality, and the PE foil prevents the ink solvent to migrate into the paper carrier, that otherwise gets wavy. Some paper suppliers publish technical data on their web pages. The cast coated papers can be used very well with dye inks, there is no problem. But not all RC papers are equally good with pigment inks, some papers have a pretty low ink limit - the capability to absorb the ink with the solvent quickly in the top coating, you otherwise may get ink puddles on your printouts depending as well on the driver settings - the paper selection which amongst other parameters defines the ink limits.

pixelhero

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
Thanks, I can see the papers like Innova say if they work with pigment. Where I wanted help with was with cheaper papers I could get on Amazon for £10 a pack. Is there an easy way to know if it will be ok other than spending money on it and it not working. I don't really want to buy 10 packs of random cheap gloss paper just to find out which one does work.

Does anyone print with pigment inks on a cheap gloss paper at all? Surely someone does use one for testing?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It's not that easy - what would you call cheap ? Just let me give you an example - the Aldi discounter is selling several times a year A4 photo paper - by a big paper company Sihl, those A4 sheets are at 10ct, and the paper is of the RC type , that's a pretty good paper for dye inks, and Sihl itself rates their own paper just as fair with pigment inks - it does not look so good really. Aldi is selling at other times another RC paper - Netbit - for the same price - and that looks much better with pigment inks, and I would consider 10ct as very cheap for such paper. You can get good quality from all major paper suppliers like Hahnemüehle or Canson or Tecco or...which run at 25 - 70 ct per A4 sheet. Major refill ink suppliers like Marrutt offer you sample packs of their paper types which gives you an easy way to try various papers and surfaces. But I would not exclude that there is somewhere as well a good CC paper - just let me know.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I only use the Lidl photo paper for my photos, its extremely cheap and work very well on my 3rd party pigment inks, I then overprint the finish photos next day with Gloss optimiser to give a perfect finish...
Capture.PNG

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
It's well past time for Canon to be offering Buy 1 Get 9 Free for the holidays. Anyone have any info on whether they're going to do it this year? Or even Buy 1 Get 4 Free (always check if there's an additional 50% off coupon - there usually is!)

I have been happy with their Luster paper - not sure what the real difference is between Luster and Semi-Gloss, I haven't seen the Semi-Gloss yet. They have a new Fine Art paper out to replace the Museum Etching they discontinued last year. I haven't tried it - waiting for the next sale. Unfortunately they don't offer canvas/faux canvas texture/watercolor papers, but I'm curious to see what the Fine Art paper is going to be like.

Lately it unfortunately seems like they're doing more B1G9/B1G4 sales on the 4x6 cheap glossy paper than other things now, but I'm hoping there'll be another sale in December!

Taksmon

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805, SC-P600
I have been happy with their Luster paper - not sure what the real difference is between Luster and Semi-Gloss, I haven't seen the Semi-Gloss yet. They have a new Fine Art paper out to replace the Museum Etching they discontinued last year. I haven't tried it - waiting for the next sale. Unfortunately they don't offer canvas/faux canvas texture/watercolor papers, but I'm curious to see what the Fine Art paper is going to be like.
Plus Semi-gloss is less shiny (and has a less pronounced texture) than Pro Luster. It is also watermarked Canon on the back. I quite like semi-gloss; a sparkly luster finish can sometimes be distracting and the semi-gloss finish is closer to the more expensive papers like Ilford Gold Fiber Silk. Unfortunately it can suffer from some serious bronzing on my non-GO Epson printer (with PC ink), or I would use it more often.

You should try some other manufacturer's canvas - I quite like Epson Exhibition Glossy Canvas. I should make a few holiday gifts with that soon.

Last edited: