Finally back... with lots to discuss (iP6000D)

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have good result by following ghwellsjr instruction. For some reason, using an empty cartridge filled with cleaning solution does not work for me. As soon as I use the cleaning cartridge, the clog was getting worse. I don't know why. But when I do the cleaning cycle with Windex on the screen, the clog will eventually be removed.

Unclogging printhead teaches me patient. As what ghwellsjr said, I soaked the purge pads with windex. A few drops of windex on the screen, let it sits over night. I only do a few cleaning cycles a day. No point wasting ink by doing more cleaning cycles when the clog is not ready to leave ... If it does not work, repeat the soaking again.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Trigger 37 said:
The more I think about this, the more I get other ideas. Why not just install home made cleaning ink carts for all colors and heat them in the microwave for a few seconds. Then you can just continue to do cleaning cycles and nozzle checks until the clog is gone. I wonder if these plastic ink carts can stand 10 to 15 seconds in a microwave.????? I'll test it out and let you know. I must have 40 Canon ink carts that I'm not using.
Chipped carts may not play well with a microwave.....careful use of a conventional oven should work.
Unchipped carts should be OK for short duration micrwave exposure. I would however keep the "micro carts" as cleaning carts only in case there is some unforeseen degradation from the microwave sessions.

I've had good luck with heated cleaning solutions with the printhead out of the machine.....a preheated cart seems like a very convenient method to use.
Looking forward to your results, T37.

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I suggest, for those who have not yet seen this, a review of the post "A new way to clean a Canon print head", by Tom Hock dated 02/04/'09 might be of interest. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3777
I have been using this method with excellent results. It doesn't subject the head to any distress, and the circuits never get wet. Sometimes a stuburn clog may take a day or two to desolve, but it has always worked for me. Tom

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Tom, many people who have a bunch of clogged nozzles may also have clogged purge tubing, which is what is causing or appears to be causing clogged nozzles. In this situation, you could put in a brand new print head and have the same problem. Many people do not even know there is a purge/prime unit. I certainly didn't know for a long time after I got involved with Canon printers. Your method is good for experienced users that have a bunch of identical print heads and know that some of them work and some of them are clogged. But most novices need to have a simple method that covers the most possibilities without risk of damaging the print head.