Filling CISS

Dr Pete

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've got a CISS system from Ebay (Ink Girl) for my Epson RX560 which has been working very well. However, this morning my dog somehow managed to pull the printer off it's stand onto the floor where it stayed for several hours until I discovered the wreckage. Thankfully the printer is still working (amazing) and very little ink has been spilled but as the cartridges finished up higher than the tanks much of the ink has drained into the tanks with many well spaced drops in the tubing. I have tried holding the tanks above the cartridges but have only managed to get ink back into one tank. So what is the best way to refill the tubing and cartridges?

Pete

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Take the CISS out and basically suck ink back through the system with a syringe through the outlet port of the cartridge. The outlet port is sealed by a spring loaded cap valve that you must push up to get the syringe tip in.
Get all the air out of the cartridge or until you see absolutely no air going into the syringe.

You are lucky the bottles of ink did not spill, that would have made you very very happy. There are situations when CISS systems are to be avoided, little children and larger pets allowed around printers are included in that category.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
You're not kidding... Lucky as all heck...

With the Epson printers you'll find a standard luer syringe (not a luer lock) will just about fit in the nozzle.. but put it in at a slight angle as often the end of the syringe gets blocked with the spring loaded cap pushing against it so tipping it creates a gap that allows ink to be pull through.

Dr Pete

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've tried to suck the ink through the system (using a syringe) but, no matter how far I push the syring in or at what angle, can't get anything but a vacuum. I can blow air through in the other direction. I now appear to have dried black ink on the inside of it's tube but this does not appear to be blocking it. I also seem to have a leak from the magenta cartridge bith from the exit port and the inlet - the elbow connector came out when the accident happened. Any more advice would be welcome as my hands are beginnning to look like I'm wearing psychedelic gloves.

Pete

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hmmm, sounds like a mess to me.

Here's what you can do,

Websnail gave you the right idea about extracting the ink thru the nozzle. That part should not be damaged, and should allow you to pull ink from the cartridge.

First off you have to make sure the syringe is inserted correctly, and should lock in there pretty firmly. Second, made sure that the refill hole on the tank is covered correctly and the air breather is on correcly as well. (Back to the cartridge) While pulling the handle on the syringe to create a vacuum (pulling it about 3-4ml), hold the cartridge and tilt the syringe (most people think you have tilt the cartridge as well but your only tilting the syringe). Tilt it to which ever way you'd like, do not release the vacuum on the syringe. You should start to get a flow. Do this procedure several times and remember to empty any ink pulled out back into the tank so you don't waste a drop.

Very important, never raise the CIS above the printer level. The CIS should always be at the same level as the printer, not above, not below, not in the middle, but at the same level or surface as the printer. If you raise it above to help with the ink flow, you force the cartridge to push out ink. This can damage the nozzle, or even cause an inbalance in the CIS cartridge. Any trouble shooting can always be done while the tanks lay beside the printer.

As for the leak on the magenta, check to see if any lines are lose, both on the top of the cartridge and the bottom of the CIS tanks (or where ever your tubes come out of your CIS). If everything seems fine, check the magenta tank for any cracks near the refilling hole or the breather hole. Also cracks on the body (these usually arn't to critical unless its leaking air).

Let me know what you find.

http://www.genxinks.com

Dr Pete

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I've persisted and finally managed to do what you have suggested. I am now covered in ink and am a bit worried that a couple of the cartridges seem to be leaking ink from the exit port. Will this make a difference when they are in the printer? Also just noticed that some of the pipes have now got air in at the cartridge end - suppose that means they may flow freely when I do a head clean. I appreciate the points you have made about the level of the tanks in relation to the cartridges in order to prevent syphoning into the waste tank.

Pete

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Pete,

If you notice minor air in the lines, you shouldn't worry about it. The ink will flow as you print or run head cleaning cycyles.

As for the leaking in the cartridges, they should stop leaking after about a few prints as long as their at the same level as the printer. But if you notice that they constantly leak even after fixing all that, then the cartridges could be damaged.

Dr Pete

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, all is now fine and the printer is toiling away happily if noisily! Many thanks for all the help.

Pete