Fill a set of carts with Windex?

zchurchz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a few Canon ip4800/ip4920's (5 cart US inkjets) that I use very often and have had clogging issues with.
What do the guru's think about flushing a set of carts and filling them with Windex JUST to run a cleaning cycle? Has anyone tried this before?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
zchurchz said:
I have a few Canon ip4800/ip4920's (5 cart US inkjets) that I use very often and have had clogging issues with.
What do the guru's think about flushing a set of carts and filling them with Windex JUST to run a cleaning cycle? Has anyone tried this before?
There shouldnt be a need for you to have a dedicated set of cleaning cartridges for your printers,
regular use or a nozzle check is more than sufficient enough to keep your print head in perfect working condition.

If youre using them regularly as you say then there are probably other reasons
for your poor quality output other than a clog in your print head.

It goes without saying that a printer wont have a clogged head problem when used regularly,
so its more than lightly down to the type of your cartridges, refilling, inks or maintenance or a combination of all.

What type of cartridges do you use and how do you refill them and with which inks
plus print out an nozzle check and post it so we can see exactly what your problem is ok..

santer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have done this with a couple of Epson PX800FW, then ran purge sheets until the output was blank sheets, then refilled the cartridges with ink. Ran the purge sheets again and they remained blank until a head clean was run.

zchurchz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OMG, I had a massive reply and Firefox crapped out on me.

I will test it for S&G's reply back and good/bad results. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going junk my printhead

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The advice to print purge pages to clean out a clog may be good for Epson printers but not for Canon printers, they use different printhead technology. Epson's piezoelectric printheads may tolerate this, but Canons thermal printheads need a steady and reliable supply of ink to cool the nozzle heaters. A clogged nozzle gets no cooling from fresh ink so you risk burning out the heater with prolonged printing. That is the reason for the advice to print only nozzle checks when trying to unclog a Canon printhead.

Could you please retype and submit the lost answer?