Faulty printer firmware?

jammo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG3250, F4180 & 2330dn
I bought a Dell 2330DN and when I first used it, it repeatedly gave a jam error despite being no jam. This was the first sign that something was wrong with this printer.

I downloaded the service manual and checked all the connections to the controller board are correct and blew compressed air into the sensors. No effect. I then entered service mode to test the sensors. The odd thing was that the sensors were triggering the wrong values in the printer, the second bad sign.

I then did a factory reset and attempted to upgrade the firmware. This is where it gets weird. I have another 2330DN and was able to upgrade the firmware using the package downloadable on Dell's site - I did get a 900 error at the end though, but it works fine and enabled duplex on Windows 10. However, the symptoms on this particular printer are different. Where my other printer accepted and programmed the new firmware, this printer doesn't. It displayed the "Reading (x)% DO NOT POWER OFF" screen followed by "Error DO NOT POWER OFF", restarting fine after that. It didn't show "programming" like the other printer did. I've tried firmware over ethernet and USB, I've insured I'm using the correct firmware (LL_LBM_P436_LB_E302.fls), and done a full reset.

The firmware identification for both printers looks quite different, which suggests that the previous owner put the incorrect firmware on the printer and now it won't accept the real firmware?

Firmware info for faulty 2330DN:

Dell Service Tag= <Service Tag removed>

Page Count= 13074

Installed Memory= 32 MB

Processor Speed= 400MHZ

Serial Number= 7212ZCG

TLI= 00MX027

Machine Type= 4513-4d3

CalStat= 35 19 3E FF 00 00 00 00

Engine ID= 35

Loader= LA.LBM.P067j-0

Kernel= FPN.APS.F001abd-0

Base= LA.LBM.P067j-0

Network= NL.APS.N213e-0

Network Drvr= LA.LBM.P067j-0

Engine= AL.LB.E048-0

Font= 8.31M01-U5.0

Firmware info for working 2330DN:

Dell Service Tag= <Service Tag removed>

Page Count= 43017

Installed Memory= 32 MB

Processor Speed= 400MHZ

Serial Number= 721CFYZ

TLI= 00MX027

Machine Type= 4513-4d3

CalStat= F42C3EFF

Engine ID= 35

Loader= LL.LBM.P424-0

Kernel= FPR.APS.F254-0

Base= LL.LBM.P424-0

Network= NR.APS.N434-0

Network Drvr= LL.LBM.P424-0

Engine= AL.LB.E201-0

Font= 8.31M01-U5.0

Is anyone able to shed any light on this for me? It'd be a shame to get rid of a working printer because of dodgy software!

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I wonder could be the Eprom have been corrupted during the update. Have you tried to write any older version of the firmware to the printer since the update failed? If you have an older firmware file it might be worth a try.

jammo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG3250, F4180 & 2330dn
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have an older copy of the firmware available, as it seemed the first and last 2330dn firmware release was in 2013 to fix a bug. I've searched beyond the Google's first page, and even looked on the Wayback Machine but it didn't have the pages archived. If only there was a way to skim the firmware from the working machine and download it to the other, but that'd be beyond my depth.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I recommend wired (USB) firmware updates after downloading the file to your hard drive if possible, not Ethernet or wireless. Power off the printer, unplug from electrical outlet and the computer, then try another reset if you can as you mentioned, then try flashing the firmware again.

I found an old firmware file for your printer at https://www.userdrivers.com/Printer/Dell-2330d-2330dn-Printer-Firmware-Update-P429a-A02/

Dell 2330d/2330dn Printer Firmware Update P429a, A02
Date Added: May 2010 / OS: Windows XP/Vista/7 / File Size: 32 MB

Obviously not Windows 10 but that does not mean it is necessarily incompatible with Win 10. If it works then you might lose certain functions. Maybe if it works you can then try flashing the most recent update again.

There may be other versions of the firmware out there.

Sometimes if a firmware flash goes sideways the EEPROM is toast and the printer will be incapable of resolving the issue. A new EEPROM chip, some sort of technical motherboard workaround, or a new printer are the only resolutions.

jammo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG3250, F4180 & 2330dn
Brilliant, thanks! I was able to install the firmware you found without a problem, and then the latest firmware on top of that. Thing is, I've discovered that the printer which I thought had upgraded actually hadn't. Both times upgrading the faulty printer, it showed on the LCD which sub-systems it was installing - this never happened on my working one. I think I'll leave that one for now.

So info for faulty printer:
Loader= LL.LBM.P436-0

Kernel= FPR.APS.F362-0

Base= LL.LBM.P436-0

Network= NR.APS.N542-0

Network Drvr= LL.LBM.P436-0

Engine= AL.LB.E302-0

Info for working printer:
Loader= LL.LBM.P424-0

Kernel= FPR.APS.F254-0

Base= LL.LBM.P424-0

Network= NR.APS.N434-0

Network Drvr= LL.LBM.P424-0

Engine= AL.LB.E201-

The only problem now is that it still 'jams' producing a 201.02 error. It does this right after the paper passes over the input sensor, the grey flag you can see when removing the toner. I'll use the maintainance menu to test it again.

jammo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG3250, F4180 & 2330dn
I tested all the sensors and they work fine. So it is a mystery to me as to why I keep getting the 201.02 error, described in the service manual as meaning "Exit sensor never made by leading edge of page. Also known as internal jam. Remove the PC kit and paper or debris at the input sensor." The only thing I can think of is that a motor or grip that pulls the paper through has failed, and so the paper stops.

Any ideas?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Your user name is jammo and your printer problem is jamming? :eek:

Your Dell appears may be a rebranded Lexmark if the "201.02" error code is specific to a manufacturer.

I did a Google search on 201.02 error and read through several of the links. According to Lexmark, the error code may provide a specific area that needs to be looked at for a jam. I also read in another link that this might mean a fatal motor malfunction that requires replacement as you mentioned.

The jamming error may be due to using special narrow media paper. The recommendation is to first try using a piece of standard sized plain paper to see if this resolves the error. A workaround suggested for this narrow media paper jamming is to disable jam detection. Might this disabling work for other causes of jamming as a last ditch attempt to keep using the printer???

There are other causes and cures of the 201.02 error code. Read through the Google links.

jammo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG3250, F4180 & 2330dn
I had a look through those results, and although the Lexmark and Dell appear similar, the Dell doesn't have a function for disabling jam detection. I've also been using A4 sheets, too, so I doubt narrow media is causing issues.
E2gKjX.png

The above is a diagram of the paper path, the paper stops just after the input switch (D) and it has never gone further. This leads me to believe that the switch being triggered causes the error. I have checked the rollers and they appear to turn fine, although the lower paper tray has stopped picking up paper (I'll need to investigate that, may be because I'm reusing paper covered in slippery toner). If I disconnect the input sensor, the printer still gives an error, presumably because it didn't expect paper.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the Dell doesn't have a function for disabling jam detection
It may be because with Dell's rebranding of the printer that Lexmark (or Dell) excluded this function in the firmware (or printer drivers). Maybe it never has been a function for this particular printer even when branded as a Lexmark.

If you knew which specific Lexmark printer this is, it might be possible to flash it with Lexmark's firmware and get the jam sensor disable function. This would be one of those "last resort" things to attempt, knowing that it might permanently "brick" (make inoperable) the printer.

the lower paper tray has stopped picking up paper
If you intend to clean the rollers then our resident roller expert Mikling recommends only using warm water as other chemicals can dry out the rollers.

I'm reusing paper covered in slippery toner
I'd stop doing that.

jammo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG3250, F4180 & 2330dn
I'll get to work on cleaning the rollers tomorrow. I may even dissassemble the whole thing to look for problems after my exams finish. If that fails I'll try messing with the firmware and transplant the fuser to my working printer (65% compared to 90%). I'm not going to give in too quickly though, another working laser printer for free would be a gem.