Faulty printer Canon MG7750

swedishengineer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
CAnon Pixma MG7750
My printer has a fault when doing a print test page vertical line split in to two in centre of pattern

see picture attached

any way of fixing this

I am told i need a new print head - would this solve the problem

test printer.jpeg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, swedishengineer.

The railroad track appearance indicates warped nozzles believed to be caused by heat. It is irreparable. A new print head should resolve this issue.

Canon print head nozzles heat up the ink and then spit it out onto the paper. The ink acts to cool the nozzles as well as make the print. One thought is that third party Pigment Black inks with less than optimal cooling properties is the cause of your issue. Some think a model of print head is susceptable to this issue regardless of inkset used.

Do you use aftermarket inks or only OEM Canon inks?

There is a workaround. If you set the Paper Type to a Photo Paper setting then the printer will use the other inks, Dye-based inks, to make composite Black. It may not be as deep a black, the font not as crisp looking, or be water resistant (ie it will smudge with a highliter).

swedishengineer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
CAnon Pixma MG7750
Thanks for useful reply

I have used canon genuine cartridges (when i felt flush) but the current set are aftermarket makes - all from 999 inks
For the next set I buy they will be OEM cartridges just to be sure

I know printer heads come in various prices £13 - £80.

How can i know what is best one to buy/???

I contacted a Canon Authorised Repairer and they sell them for £80 plus £15 to fit.

I have figured out how to remove and fit another so that save some money (and a trip to Woking)

I did not fully understand the last paragraph. are the two black cartridges different inks. trouble is I have TWO WIDE BLACKS (U-PG157XLBK) ( no make ) AND ONE THIN BLACK (C-CLI-571XLBK)(Premium ink )UNUSED

should i just chuck these. and buy all OEM

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is the best place to get your print head from in the UK..
https://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/Item/qy6-0083-canon-print-head
If you continue to use low quality aftermarket inks then the same thing will happen to the new print head, it’s the nature of the beast, and that’s how Canon like it.. Sorry...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Your prices in £ suggests you are located in the UK. An authorized UK dealer of Canon spare parts is CRC Tasktron. They have probably the best prices for a new and unused printhead. Only buy printheads from authorized dealers. Offers from Ebay, Amazon, AliBaba etc are often used and possibly defective printheads that have been cleaned to look like new and packaged in counterfeit foil bags and cardboard boxes.

Canon OEM cartridges and high quality aftermarket cartridge sets have a big black cartridge with a pigment black specially for plain paper and a small black cartridge with photo (dye) black for photo printing. Low quality cartridge sets have a big and a small dye black cartridge, meaning the same dye ink is used in both black cartridges.

You can print documents with the dye ink instead of the pigment black if you select for instance matte photo paper as the print medium. The printing will be slower and the print a bit less sharp and also not water proof.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
How can i know what is best one to buy/???
It depends on your location. What country are you in?

Forum members The Hat and PeterBJ have posted a couple links for you if you are in the UK or EU.

To decrease risk of another overheating of nozzles you can set to Quiet Mode. It typically is found in the Maintenance menu. It slows down printing and therefore decreases heat generation.

swedishengineer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
CAnon Pixma MG7750
Many thanks for all the contributions . i have now visited CRC and invested ina new printer head and a full set of Canon inks . .

any hints before i fit it al back together