Fast drying trick for purged cartridges

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Grandad's cartridge method works. I've been using it for months now, and its quick and clean.

The problem is the prolonged drying time. Heating the cartridges with a microwave oven is a bit dangerous and definitely not convenient. Here is a simpler method:

cartridge_drying_with_tissue.jpg

I use a small piece of tissue (kitchen paper is probably the best). Place the tissue on the exit port and hold it with your finger until you feel your fingertip getting wet. Remove your finger and let the cartridge upside down.

As long as the cartridge contains water, the tissue will stuck on the exit port and water will start spreading on the paper. The water will be evaporating from a much larger area leading to a very quick drying of the entire cartridge.

I've just used this method on 9 cartridges and it works with good results. Hope it helps :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Panos- I've done the following to dry the carts. First just blow as much water out as you can with your mouth. Then I used an old vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment and very crudely held my hand to create a near seal. Then I set the carts up in front of a small table fan directed at the top to blow into the air vent and fill holes and left it till the carts were dry. This accelerated evaporation. Pretty self explanatory, but I did post a picture in the long thread following Grandad's description of the technique

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Panos,

I like it! As long as the sponge(s), filter and paper towel are in contact, they should wick much of the water out of the cart to the paper towel, and the paper towel's large surface area will greatly improve the drying efficiency in a similar manner to the way that the fins on a heat sink increase the heating/cooling rate.

How long do you find that it takes to dry a cart in this manner?

I will shortly be re-purging all of my carts, and I'll definately give this drying technique a try.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Grandad, while I can't give a precise response because I left the cartridges for 5 days and they had been dried out when I returned, I believe it is about 2-3 days for the bci-3 and 1-2 days for the bci-6. Room temperature about 24 Celsius degrees.

By the way, the cartridge in yesterday's photo is now completely dry. Here is the last photo before removing the tissue:

cartridge_drying_with_tissue_comple.jpg