Fairy washing liquid + Print head = kaputt

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
"By hot water it’s meant to be hand hot 30C only, not almost boiling.."

I know that !

I was increasing water temp gradually I used 30C, 50C, 80C. Did not use boiling !

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
Hi,
The precipitate is probably aluminum hydroxide. The cause is probably corrosion, possibly electrochemical due to contact between dissimilar metals. Dissolving the hydroxide without further corroding the metal will be difficult. Sorry.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi,
The precipitate is probably aluminum hydroxide. The cause is probably corrosion, possibly electrochemical due to contact between dissimilar metals. Dissolving the hydroxide without further corroding the metal will be difficult. Sorry.

Suggesting Fairy as print head cleaning liquid is a bid mistake then. Obviously it only for washing dishes.

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
Suggesting Fairy as print head cleaning liquid is a bid mistake then. Obviously it only for washing dishes.
Your experience with it was certainly less than satisfactory. I would rather urge caution in allowing ANY cleaning solution not specifically meant as a storage solution to remain in contact with the print head after a reasonably brief treatment interval. The more 'powerful' the cleaner the more likely that it will dissolve bits of a print head as well. So flush it out immediately after treatment.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I use Fairy liquid and ammonia mix for cleaning all the time and have never had an issue with it yet, so if it works well for me then it only stands to reason that I would recommend it to others to use it.

If there was the slightest possibility of it causing harm to any of my printer components, I would have found it by now and therefore brought it to everyone’s attention, so I intend to continue to use it with no hesitation..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Your experience with it was certainly less than satisfactory. I would rather urge caution in allowing ANY cleaning solution not specifically meant as a storage solution to remain in contact with the print head after a reasonably brief treatment interval. The more 'powerful' the cleaner the more likely that it will dissolve bits of a print head as well. So flush it out immediately after treatment.

It was recommended to soak the head for week etc. It's not funny when the head turned out dead, it still worked fine for non photo work.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
If there was the slightest possibility of it causing harm to any of my printer components, I would have found it by now and therefore brought it to everyone’s attention, so I intend to continue to use it with no hesitation..

I bought the FAIRY from Germany, obviously the original one no fake etc. I soaked the head and now it's completely ruined. I did not think it was possible for dish cleaner to gelly up in water if left in closed container for 2 weeks.

Not only nozzles were blocked but the liquid seems to gelly up outside print head too. Very strange stuff. Using it is non risk free for soaking. Maybe it works as washing etc. But since I was not even possible to wash it under the chip (I had to remove the electronics to clean it out) etc.

I must mention I have not installed the head in my printer as there is great risk it will kill the printer and that is more expensive than the head nowadays.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I bought the FAIRY from Germany, obviously the original one no fake etc. I soaked the head and now it's completely ruined. I did not think it was possible for dish cleaner to gelly up in water if left in closed container for 2 weeks.
Previously, you said you soaked it for 2 months? How long was the print head in the solution?

I use Dawn dish washing liquid for the sink, not the dishwasher. I have a foam brush that you pour the soap into the handle and it will absorb into the sponge for washing. I had the brush stored on its side and the dish washing liquid leaked out forming a somewhat rubbery solid from drying in the open air. Obviously this is different environment than a submerged print head.

Was the print head fully submerged in the liquid?

Was the water from the tap or distilled?

Anything else besides water and the Fairy soap?

Why did you leave the print head in the solution for so long?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Previously, you said you soaked it for 2 months? How long was the print head in the solution?

Maybe the head was stored longer than few weeks about a month, I really must say I thought longer is better.

I use Dawn dish washing liquid for the sink, not the dishwasher. I have a foam brush that you pour the soap into the handle and it will absorb into the sponge for washing. I had the brush stored on its side and the dish washing liquid leaked out forming a somewhat rubbery solid from drying in the open air. Obviously this is different environment than a submerged print head.

Was the print head fully submerged in the liquid?

The head was submerged in airtight container, no evaporation.

Was the water from the tap or distilled?

Distilled.

Anything else besides water and the Fairy soap?

No.

Why did you leave the print head in the solution for so long?

After 3 weeks I wanted to take it out but I have remembered about it only about after a month.