Extended warranty for G2260 Megatank printer?

zack23

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all -

My trusty MP610 printer is staggering on its last legs (cyan color nozzle is burned out, Canon driver has long been unavailable for Mac and the Gutenprint driver has become increasingly flaky, etc), so I've been planning to get a new all-in-one for some time. B&H just dropped the price on the soon-to-be-discontinued Pixma G2260 megatank printer to US$ 109, and I purchased one last weekend. I'm aware of all the warnings on this list about reliability issues with the megatank printers, but I like the concept (although I've done it for years, I really don't enjoy refilling cartridges), the physical dimensions of this printer fit my needs, and I figured that at this price what the heck, especially because the printer comes with two extra bottles of pigment black ink.

I normally avoid extended warranties, but I'm thinking that in this case, given the clogging issues, it might make sense to get one. Canon offers a 4 year extended warranty (really three extra years of coverage, since the first year would be covered in any case by the regular warranty) for US$40. Everything is covered, including all shipping if the printer needs to be returned. Consumables, including the maintenance cartridge, are not covered of course. Does getting this coverage seem like a good idea?

Aside from the Canon extended warranty, B&H also offers an extended warranty from Allstate that would provide 2 extra years of coverage for $18. Downside is that it's a year shorter than the Canon offer, and I'm guessing that if there's a problem with the printer I would have to send it to them and they would junk it and send me a new one, whereas Canon would send me parts (such as a printhead) so long as they are deemed user-replaceable.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Good idea with extended warranty, but make sure they not catch you refilling that nullifies the warranty extended or not

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Megatank printers are supposed to be refilled by the owner, but only with OEM ink. You cannot rule out that mixing OEM and non-OEM ink might cause clogged nozzles. I think that error will not be covered by the warranty.

See this post for links to errors caused by mixing inks.

Last edited: