Expression ET2550

Neldajun

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-2550
I admit that I am accustomed to the Canon printers, where there is a nice icon installed on the desktop to tweak the settings. No such icon with Win10 and the Epson printer. There is a program somewhere, buried somewhere, I know because I accidently stumbled upon it a few days ago. It seems like they want you to use the the printer LCD and interface for all operations but that screen is so little and b&w, I prefer controlling it from the big 23" computer screen. Why hide it and make it so difficult, just give me a nice little icon or program link to change settings!

I'll dig around and see about changing the setting to a lower resolution and check on the speed.

I am beginning to think that Canon has me spoiled. Borderless printing, auto-duplex printing, quick scanning speeds, all pretty much standard with mid-level Canon printers.....I keep telling myself that I am saving all that money not worrying about cartridges. Which is true, but I am spoiled. I want Canon quality with Epson economics, lol!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Did you install just the printer driver via Internet or the complete S/W Epson package off the CD, there should be a separate scan utility inluded in that package.

Neldajun

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-2550
I installed it following the instruction sheet, using the CD. I will look on the CD to see if there is a scan utility.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is a scanner driver and scan utility available for download
ET-2550.jpg

Neldajun

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-2550
Thank you, I had it installed but it did not automatically place an icon on the desktop nor was there a path to the utility on the start menu. I believe this is the fault of Win 10, not Epson. I found the directory where it is installed and manually added an icon to my desktop. It does scan a bit faster through this utility, about 20-30 seconds at the same settings used by the printer (300dpi).

I played with the different options and with all of them you have to click two buttons to get a scan. "Home" has a preview that you have to do first before you can scan, "Office" has a scan button but that takes you to menu settings before you can scan. Not sure why there is not an option to just scan at the previously set settings, it does not make sense to go through the set up (or preview) every time before making a scan. But it does scan a little faster and is easier to see than the little screen on the printer.

I think that I can only scan to pdf from the printer menu, I do not see that option in the utility. If anyone knows differently, please correct me. I would also like to know if there is a way to scan several pages into one PDF document. I do not have Adobe on this computer, just using the programs provided by the AIO printer.

Thanks in advance!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I regret I'm not running an ET2550 and not this scan software so I can't comment on the software functions in detail.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just as a side bar, we put an ET-2550 in a neighbouring workshop here with pigment inks and it is running beautifully... No clogs and the only problem we hit was when we foolishly ignored the ink max level and overfilled it. A few spots of ink for a bit and then it settled down.

Not a bad little workhorse all told.

Neldajun

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-2550
Just as a side bar, we put an ET-2550 in a neighbouring workshop here with pigment inks and it is running beautifully... No clogs and the only problem we hit was when we foolishly ignored the ink max level and overfilled it. A few spots of ink for a bit and then it settled down.

Not a bad little workhorse all told.
I had wondered if I could refill the black dye ink with a pigment ink. I know the other models all use the 764 black pigment ink.

Websnail, had you first used the dye ink and then switched to the pigment or did you start with pigment ink? I am wondering if I can make the switch with the next refill of the black tank. I don't mind dye based for the colors but I prefer pigment ink for the black.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hmmmmm I've been away for a while great reading on the epson, bought anew printhead for my mp990 will run this until it quits, very disappointed that there is no duplex printing

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Websnail, had you first used the dye ink and then switched to the pigment or did you start with pigment ink? I am wondering if I can make the switch with the next refill of the black tank. I don't mind dye based for the colors but I prefer pigment ink for the black.
We installed the pigment ink from the outset but you should be able to clear out the reservoirs with a syringe and long needed... fill with a little distilled water then vacuum out again then fill with the pigment ink. At that point you need to do one of the priming routines so that the existing dye ink is flushed out of the tubing and printhead... I'd also print off about 5-10 full colour sheets of each colour so that you can be sure the nozzles are clear of any remaining dye ink.

It's more pre-emptive to ensure you're not dealing with chemical reactions between the inks, that might take longer to form and cause clogging issues. The key is to take your time and make sure you aren't rushing or cutting corners..