Expiry Date of HP Cartridge

gorinw11

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am thinking to buy HP cartridge from internet...One of their exipry date is year 2006 (1 year ago), the others expiry date passed 5 months ago....

My printer is a 1999 model hp t65 office jet (multifunction), and the cartridge I will purchase is 1823 (23) color cartridge.... what would happen if I use an expired cartridge?... Would the ink be useless?....

or...

I see on the net that there is a chip onthe cartridge that blocks the usage of the cartridge after the perios is expired even it is full of ink (for commercial reasons)... would this be the case for my printer which is relatively an old modl?....

what would the case be using an expired cartridge?...

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would look at the price of the cartridges which should be cheaper than the ones that are less than one year old. And if the price difference is more than 30% it is a deal. The main thing lies on the quality of your print out. If the cartridge is in its original package it should be ok to use. I bought some hp 45 cartridges which is 2 years old for $10 each and it worked just like any other fresh ones. Also if you do refills yourself, you will run into a lot of cartridges which is a few years old anyway. Check if you can return the cartridges if they are dried up so badly that you cannot clear up the nozzles. Go for the savings. I don't think the 45 and 23 have a chip to check the age of the cartridge, these are very old model that hp build for their older printers and they both holds a lot of ink compared with the newer cartridges some may hold as little as 2 mils and that don't last very long.

gorinw11

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for the response, Itsang.....

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
I don't think the chips, if HP used them in 1999, will cause you a problem. I don't think they used the technology to disable printing with expired cartridges 8 years ago.