ET-8550 - Excessive Borderless Printing What Precautions?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Just keep an eye on the pads in the printpath - along the edges of your paper, and as well around the cleaning unit and the foam pad which is pressed against the nozzle plate in the idle position from underneath. Just power up the printer and pull the power cord as soon as the printhead carriage starts moving, this will let you move it into any position easily.

glasseye

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9800
I haven't done much borderless, but I'm seeing some ink transfers from paper path to paper now. Not streaks, but fine hair-like random patterns. Usually on the trailing end of the print and found top to bottom randomly on a landscape print. Always black.

More like transfers from rollers than long streaks from dragging across ink-contaminated surfaces.

Any advice on cleaning the paper path?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As waste ink is my bag I can tell you that your caution is well advised... The ET-8550 is supported for it's main waste ink output by the maintenance box that you can change out yourself... BUT, the platen waste ink pad (and counter) are locked away from the end-user and cannot be reset.

Now, it's worth noting that the WICReset app does have a function that supposedly can reset this waste ink counter but to date I've not found anyone who has successfully used it on the ET series and believe me I'm trying to find some printers that have the issue so I can go to town on the thing, with the developers along for the ride.

So, my advice would be to consider either:
a) finding a local service centre that understands what platen waste ink pads are and have demonstrable knowledge (and a price) on how to complete their replacement and counter reset.
..or..
b) consider either the cost of replacing your printer after around a few thousand borderless prints, OR factor in the cost (and sourcing) of a decent guillotine so you can print with borders and chop the edges off.

Hope that's of some help.

glasseye

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9800
EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks a bunch. My suspicions are confirmed.

I asked Epson tech support about this and they offered me nothing. No advice, no warnings, no help.

I have an excellent matte cutter that will allow me to trim prints, so rather than bork my printer, I'll do that.

glasseye

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9800
EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks a bunch. My suspicions are confirmed.

I asked Epson tech support about this and they offered me nothing. No advice, no warnings, no help.

I have an excellent matte cutter that will allow me to trim prints, so rather than bork my printer, I'll do that.
I won't have standard sized prints, but I won't saturate my ink pads either.