Error msg's 5100 &B203 from my TR8520

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I have a TR8520 that I think may have bitten the dust. Im getting error msgs 5100 and B203. Its also telling me to pull the plug and call service. Should I just junk this thing or is there a fix I can apply. FYI- I have been refilling OEM carts using the drip method. Ive been doing this since I bought the machine since there are no real good alternatives in after market carts.
When I searched for what the 5100 was all about it directed me to download a file called "restoro" for my windows 11 installation. Im a little hesitant on using this download as it also tells me this could be dangerous to my whole system if I dont know what I am doing. Anybody know anything about this problem and this file "restoro"
I also did a search for the B203 error which comes up after the 5100 on the screen of the printer. I went through all the steps that were shown and the troubleshooter found nothing wrong.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There is no service manual available for the TR8520. But when I search the web and check older service manuals, I find that the B203 error most likely means defective printhead and the 5100 error most likely is a carriage error that could be caused by a dirty timing strip. Maybe cleaning the timing strip and checking that nothing blocks the carriage movement could make the 5100 error go away? If it does then maybe it is worth buying a new printhead?

You cannot repair a printer error by installing a piece of software. I Googled "Restoro" and I would not install that program. See this and this.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I cleaned the timing strip and checked the carriage, everthing was clean and the carriage moves easily and I still have the 5100 error. So I guess Im going to give up and junk the printer. Thanx for looking into this for me. So Im going to buy a Canon G6020 tomorrow.

Latest posts