Error code B504 Canon Maxify MB5545

mforge

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon maxify mb5545
Good evening everybody! I have no clue at all on how to fix a printer. At the moment I am at the stage of chucking it out of the window!

I tried to print from my iPhone and then the printing failed as the Wi-Fi got disconnected and ever since I have had this message appear.

I have tried to reset the Canon printer holding the off button and the red button and pressing it several times. Every time the printer turns on it shoots out two pieces of blank paper. It allows you to scroll through the options until there is a running sound and then all of a sudden it beeps and the error code causes all buttons to stop working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8306.jpg
    IMG_8306.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 932

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, mforge.

The Maxify's a great line of small office printers. But, like anything else, they can experience a problem for no apparent good reason as you have.

The B504 Error occurs when the print head does not sense ink and the printer stops printing to protect itself. The print head heats up and then spits out ink onto the paper. The ink acts to cool the nozzles so they do not burn out.

Please answer the following questions so we can help you and others that may experience the same issue:

Any other issue before the current B504 error?

Do you use OEM Canon cartridges or aftermarket cartridges?

Do you refill?

What happened before the error appeared? Did you recently install or refill a cartridge?

Does the cartridge(s) have ink? Is the plastic wrapper fully removed from the cartridge before installing?

See link below for potential fixes. Let us know how you get along.

https://www.inkhub.com.au/ink/b504-error-canon-maxify-printers

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
B504 is indeed the ink flow monitor to protect the printhead.

You need to place cartridges able to deliver enough ink (and probably with a chip not showing empty).

Although this happens more often with 3th party pre- or refilled cartridges since they have poor ink flow, it is not a terminal error as Canon might suggest.
My experience - shared by others on this forum - is that OEM cartridges have better ink feed characteristics (they have a flexible bag inside).

So that's exactly what Canon wanted ;).
I am afraid you did throw away the OEM setup carts you could have refilled ...

Last edited:

mforge

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon maxify mb5545
I am having trouble removing the cartridges. It keeps on shooting out to piece of paper and going straight to the code.……….Any help losing my mind

mforge

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon maxify mb5545
Cartridges were brand-new from a local printer shop not sure if oem. or Canon

mforge

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon maxify mb5545
No issues whatsoever it's just decided to stop working and displaying this error message also the cartridge are basically halfway through

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
No issues whatsoever it's just decided to stop working and displaying this error message also the cartridge are basically halfway through

We only try here to help people to understand how printers work and how to repair and refill them.
If you are not satisfied with the cartridges the seller is the first you should complain to.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon you should remove all the carts and then power the printer back on, and see if the error message has disappears, then re-insert the carts once again and see if that gets you back in business..
P.S. please check the brand label on the carts that your using, and OEM are Canon cartridges..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I am having trouble removing the cartridges. It keeps on shooting out to piece of paper and going straight to the code.
The link in my post above has 2 ways of getting the print head carriage to move so you can extract the cartridges. One way is in the text, the other way is in a video.

Describe in detail what you are doing to attempt to get the carriage to move.

Cartridges were brand-new from a local printer shop not sure if oem. or Canon
OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer. In this case, OEM = Canon.

"Aftermarket" means someone other than Canon, ie a 3rd Party, supplies either the ink, chip, and/or cartridge.

You may be able to see enough of one of the cartridges even if the carriage does not move. In my Mazify it is the Yellow that is visible. All the cartridges are marked the same except the color.

Compare the picture below with what you see of the cartridge in your printer.

s0872742_sc7