Epson XP series

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have not yet given up on an XP series printer even though this may qualify me as a chronic masochist or because i want to oppose epsons ink extortion racket.

The quality of letter/A4 glossy photo prints is great for 4 colors. I can only see color dithering at < 20 cm viewing distance. And those glossy papers are perfectly water resistent. I am not a regular user, that makes these XP printers preferrable to me over the more robust workforce etc. printers with only pigment.

The XP-820 i bought new for $180 died with "paper jam" after one week. Epson authorized repair shop said it could not repair it. Internal mechanics all plastic. Epson wanted to send me an XP-830 but i refused to accept it because i had not found refilling options for those newer T410 cartridge chips. I now have an unused $30 XP-610 from craigslist and use it with PC refill cartridges/ink and it prints fine after scaring clogged nozzles with nasty denatured alcohol.

The ink waste mikling describes has three factors: a) there do not seem to be XL aftermarket chips, the PC refill cartridge chip also seems to be standard size, so it needs to reset after ca. 6 ml of ink. b) epsons ink drain routine after cartridge change seems to waste a lot of ink. c) You need to do 5 cycles (one per cartridge) for a full set of cartridge reset.

IMHO, the whole ARC concept is stupid. You want to explicitly reset all cartridges at once. This is also the common practice on what seems to be refillers favorite printers like Pixma Pro 100 - even though there also seem to be ARC chips for them.

There is a resetter claiming support for original 273XL chips (QE-888), I will get one of those, and a set of original XL chips. That just leaves problem b), so hopefully the ink waste will be ok.

The other problem is that aftermarket with XP is you get banding when the chip tries to pull in more ink than the cartridge delivers. I get this when printing on glossy paper letter/A4. Photo (6x4 inch) is fine, letter plain paper is fine too - all those options do draw less ink. This happens with one-time aftermarket cartridges as well as the refillables from PC and even with one original cartridge (older one). I have solved the problem by running the PC cartridges with the hole over the reservoir unplugged - instead of the hole over the sponge. This seems to work perfect so far.

Remember ARC chips emulate an OEM functionality. Resettable on demand chips were once introduced and they failed miserably because the user base of printer owners as well as sellers, i. did not know of their usefullness, 2. sellers did not know of their benefits 3. Users do not want to be bothered with batteries. Even when there were manual resetters available for printers, users intially did not catch on their functionality and benefits until many years later and possibly it was on this site that it was disclosed and I may have been one of the first. It's been a long time.

That you sometimes get a bad print even with an OEM cart at times, is indicative of how "on the edge" this ink system is designed. Even with using OEM carts and refilling those, over time these OEM carts start giving up the ghost. Under the OEM outlet pad material is some foam. Over time this foam fatigues and becomes deformed and contact pressure is lost. When this happens air can infiltrate the ink path and then the horror show begins. Perform a couple head cleans and for sure one of the carts will empty, replace that cart and by the time that one is replaced surely another one will empty very soon. Etc Etc.

Between this series of printers and what we see on the P800, Epson is pretty much fully in control of what they will allow aftermarket to offer for their products. There are a whole lot of possibilities that can still be unleashed. Oh, I'm sure Canon is also holding back as well. Just remember, Canon has the ability to make processors for cameras, the power in these processors can easily be unleashed into the printer and a whole host of things can be done. The Canon Pro-1000 and its upper siblings has lots of processing power but this so far is pointed at printing capabilities not restrictive measures...as yet.

To answer the question of a good pigment printer. It all depends on what you need to do. For strict office work...the Canon Maxify is the top of the heap. FAST, Ultra Reliable and well priced. It is NOT a photo printer for 4x6s. Grain can clearly be seen. Even at home it is excellent as you can stop using it for a long period and it fires right back up and pretty much is ready to go without head cleaning. Mine has rest periods of approx 2 weeks and gives hardly any trouble at all. Not so with typical Epson printers. Oddly enough air infiltration resistance on the contact pad XP series is actually quite good....

If you want inexpensive photo work in your printer, stick with the workforce series that use the T252 series of carts. While still showing grain, it is a lot less so than the Maxify. However you need to use this printer fairly frequently air infiltration through the nozzles becomes a problem. It is not a fast printer but it prints...and look at the price and features. The Precision Core head by Epson is all about cost reduction in the manufacture/fabrication of the printhead. An older R3000 ( AMC Advanced Meniscus Control) used less frequently will exhibit far fewer air infiltration issues than these Precision Core heads and the P600 even better.( Each one of these costs 4 - 5 times what the workforce will cost) It is possibly the reduction in the cost of the printhead that allows Epson to sell this Workforce line of printers for such reasonable prices.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
For strict office work...the Canon Maxify is the top of the heap. FAST, Ultra Reliable and well priced

Glad to hear it from you :).

What do you suggest for refilling: the OEM carts and disabling ink monitoring, or ARC chips (in OEM carts or 3th party).
Do you have experience Canon blocking the use of 3th party carts ?

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
How do you disable ink monitoring ? What does that even mean ?

If possible, i would always go with a non-ARC solution, eg: reset cartridges with an external resetter. There seem to be such resetter for the T273 cartridges used in the workforce printers, and even one for the XP-820/XP810/.. series of printers. I am not sure if there are 3rd party cartridges that come with resetter resettable chips, but worst case one needs to buy one or two original set of XL cartridges and either refill those or move the chips to 3rd party cartridges. I have never tried to refill an OEM cartridge yet, so no good opinion if the difficulty in doing so is worth the potentially better ink flow. That also depends on the type of cartridge. I think i'll continue experimenting with the 3rd party cartridges first...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I did a little test with another type of current cartridges - T16 refill with ARC chips. A resetter is available for this type of cartridge, I did several resets - blink, blink, green light - and the status monitor of the printer showed 100% full for a second, and then was rewriting the ink levels back to the previous levels....so a resetter is not effective in this case, and the printer firmware is apparently remembering the previous ink level. The ARC function works once the ink level is down and the cartridge is not recognized anymore. So be ready for similar surprises if you think about a resetter.

Last edited:

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Did you try to reset original t16 cartridges with the external newsletter, or one time pre filled third party cartridges ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
no, I don't see a practical way to refill original cartridges, and you may get other funny reactions with other cartridges in other printers - I just don't know

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
How do you disable ink monitoring ? What does that even mean ?
It is a Canon thing. I don't know if this also applies to Epson printers. You can print with a refilled Canon cartridge that has been declared empty by disabling ink monitoring. You will no longer get low ink and empty warnings, and you lose the warranty if you disable ink monitoring.

If a resetter is available for used Canon cartridges, resat cartridges will be seen as new OEM by the printer, so disabling of ink monitoring is not needed.

For some new Canon printers no resetters are available, so the use of compatible cartridges or ink monitoring disabling is needed if you want to refill.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I have not seen anything like disabling ink monitoring on Epson printers since they use chips on the cartridges - genuine or 3rd party or refill

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
How many set of cartridges regular / XL was that three months ?

I was using a CISS so I didn't keep count I'm afraid. There was a fair amount off head cleans thrown in for good measure as I had a couple of issues with nozzle checks

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I have not seen anything like disabling ink monitoring on Epson printers since they use chips on the cartridges - genuine or 3rd party or refill

Sorry for breaking in, we maybe should start a new thread.

I never used Epson printers.
Does this mean that if you can't reset the chips the printer stops printing ?

Compared to Canon, for how many (recent) printer series there is a resetter and/or ARC chips ?

Since Canon printers can detect non-OEM cartridges - some functions as cloud connection are only available with genuine carts - what does retains them to block the printer (as it seems already the case with the Maxify's).