Epson Workforce WF 3540

scottrill

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello All,

Newbie here. I did search for both my printer and ink tanks so forgive me if this question has been covered.

I have an Epson Workforce WF 3540 printer. I prefer Epson as I have had better luck with them then Canon. I usually blow through printers pretty fast (horrible luck or overuse I don't know), most break on me within a year or the day AFTER the warranty expires lol. It is one reason why I usually buy lower end printers now. Nothing chaps my hide more than spending good money on a "top notch" 700 - 900 dollar printer and buying the 2 year Epson preferred warranty (for an extra 250) and having it die on day 2 of year 3 lol So anyway, one thing I have noticed about the cheaper models is that they seem to blow through more ink???? Maybe its just me imagining it. But high end or low end, makes no difference.... inks are expensive.

Anyway, an IT guy recommended I start refilling my cartridges and check out nifty-stuff.com for opinions from folks who have waaaay too much knowledge and time on their hands lol. So lo and behold here I am.:D

So a few specifics:

Workload:

Archiving in B&W and in Color (Color is usually in the form of photos, not like clipart type stuff colors dont have to be PERFECT or anything, but should be close if possible)
Occasional brochure etc for my small biz
usual office crap (letters, invoices, mailing labels etc)

Printing Technology:
4-color (CMYK) drop-on-demand MicroPiezo inkjet technology

Minimum Ink Droplet Size:
3 droplet sizes, as small as 2 picoliters

Cartridges:
T127120
T127220
T127320
T127420

OEM Ink:

DURABrite Ultra

Now I have read alot of forum posts here on Nifty and have seen a few threads that kinda scare me lol

1 was talking about the Octopus Magenta inks being wrong color.
1 was about refill pigment inks messing up the print head / clogging if you don't get the right type etc
1 was talking about matching the paper to the ink? Otherwise the ink will crumble and rub off????

I have looked up tons of places I have found here in the forums like Cone Ink, MIS Associates (reading some reviews on MIS customers also mention the ink crumbling off, is it MIS ink or are they just using wrong type and/or paper?), rjettek etc etc

So can anyone please explain to me how I know I am getting the right ink and paper?

Should I also have a set of inks for archiving and then another refillable set for dye based for the brighter colors or whatever?

I definitely like the sound of Octopus inks for 3 cents a ml or whatever, but don't wanna get the wrong stuff and end up causing myself headaches lol

Thanks for your time,

Scott

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The one reputable ink shop I know of is Octoink. They do sell Epson inks for Workforce printers, but not the 3540 specifically. It didn't show up in the quickfind box in the top left corner at least. Do take care picking the inks, replacing a clogged head will quickly undo any savings earned by refilling.