Epson Workforce 610 From Bad to Worse

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
the blacks and yellow got bad as expected at first because they were choked this is to see the effect on the cyan and magenta. the test shows that the magenta has some serious clogs. the cyan and black will eventually likely come back. the issue is you will need some luck on the magenta. remember doing all these things don't guarantee freeing up dried clogs on the magenta. restore the plugs as normal and keep repeating and maybe the magenta will break out. if the clog is deep inside the piezo head where the external liquid can't reach then there is not much that can be done. the cyan looks like air. similar for the black that is coming back. the magenta is always consistent.

LOTL

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
restore the plugs as normal and keep repeating and maybe the magenta will break out. if the clog is deep inside the piezo head where the external liquid can't reach then there is not much that can be done. the cyan looks like air. similar for the black that is coming back. the magenta is always consistent.
Just so i have this straight (which i dont). Im not sure if you want me to repeat the procedure i just did leaving both plugs out of the Magenta and leaving the both plugs in the Black and the Yellow and no idea what you want to do plug wise with the Cyan.
Or if you just want me to put the plugs back in "as normal" which to me means leaving the plugs in on all cartridges as they normally would be when running normally.
Could you please be a little more specific with the plug placement if possible.

So i take it running a stronger straight ammonia solution mixed with isopropyl alcohol wouldnt be worth a shot to try and clear the clog?
Seems to me, that soaking those pads with the Windex broke up something and it stuck somewhere that normal head cleanings cant dislodge.
Is it possible (or beneficial) to fill a cartridge with Windex or a stronger solution and then try doing a head cleaning that way?

Thanks

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, place some windex and mix in a little ink so that when you do a nozzle check you can see something.
put the plugs back in normal, soak and clean and cross your fingers.

LOTL

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
Yes, place some windex and mix in a little ink so that when you do a nozzle check you can see something.
put the plugs back in normal, soak and clean and cross your fingers.
Im sorry mikling, maybe its just me but your replies and instructions are kind of vague.
So you are suggesting i put some windex and a little ink directly in the cartridge as i suggested?
Put the plugs back in pr/normal i get, but what do you mean by "Soak" did you want me to fill the pads with windex again, let sit overnight and then do the head cleanings again with the windex and ink mixture?

Thanks

LOTL

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok so i went ahead and put about 2-3ml of windex into the Magenta and Cyan cartridges along with about 1ml of ink. Performed 4 head cleanings and nozzle checks back to back with no improvement of the Magenta.
The first 2 head cleanings i left the plugs in as they normally would be when using the printer. The last 2 i plugged both holes on the Black and Yellow cartridges. I pulled both plugs on the Cyan and Magenta.
I let it sit overnight and did another 3 Head cleanings this morning.

NozCheck_zps3193c414.jpg

The Cyan has come back completely, but the Magenta appears to have gotten worse.
I just removed all of the mixed ink/windex from the 2 cartridges and refilled with just ink.
Did another 2 head cleanings with no change in the Magenta.
Maybe its time to put this Workforce 610 to sleep.