Epson Stylus Pro 3880, scratching Exhibition Fiber

butter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a new 3880 Having scratching issues with Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. The cogwheels paper transport, about 1/8" apart in pairs, which run across the 17" width at 2" intervals, are scratching the printed ink surface. I've been through 3 printers (the first one had a different problem) and another new one is on the way. Epson techs said the problem is the delicate surface of the paper. Widening the platen gap, using the front manual feed, using the auto sheet feeder or the recommended rear manual slot doesn't change the defect. Wondering if anyone here experienced this issue?

I'm not going to be a happy camper if this printer/paper combo doesn't work. Plan B is trying Red River Arctic Polar Luster-I have a sample pack on order--which is said to be a good compromise surface with much better(resin coated) handling, similar print characteristis. I would prefer to use Exhibition Fiber for archival reasons, plus I have put quite a bit of time and effort in marketing prints with 100-200 year light fastness. Plus the look of toned black and white on the Fiber is fantastic. That's something I don't want to compromise.

Added: 9/11. Just got the 4th 3880. Same problem. Using rear manual slot, wider and widest platen gap, Exhibition Fiber driver setting, black and white mode. Test print is mostly black and the scratch tracks show up clearly in the black. It's hard to swallow considering all the marketing promotion Epson is doing with this printer/paper combo. I fell for it after reading perhaps 25 reviews raving about this paper and printer. Now I'll have to find a resin-coated paper to use. Bummer.