Epson Stylus 1500w Initialising Problem

ste

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus 1500w
Hi

My 1500w has a problem, recently developed a fault on start up. When I start it up the print head carriage has suddenly developed a mind of its own, it starts slamming about and goes to the very far left and makes a loud grinding noise and then stops altogether with two red lights flash together (trash light and the ink light). One of the inks is nearly empty or is empty but I'm sure this would'nt cause this problem?

Any help please would be very much appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out over this.

Ste.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A dirty timing strip/print head position encoder strip could cause this error. This strip is going through slits in the print head carriage. It has some fine vertical markings that are read by an optical sensor. If the strip has become dirty from ink mist, the optical reader could malfunction. Try cleaning the strip gently with a piece of soft tissue paper moistened with a window cleaner with ammonia. Be careful not to tear the strip.

Last edited:

ste

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus 1500w
Hi thanks for your reply,

I have already tried that thanks, when you say the strip goes through slits I take it you mean an optical eye, if so could it therefore be dislodged from its normal path that it would take or is that not possible.

Many thanks Ste.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The strip must be positioned properly for the optical reader/eye to function.

The service manual has some info about how to reinstall the strip. The service manual is found here. You dont need to join the site to download the manual, just enter the captcha.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Most other aspects are covered but the behaviour may also suggests that the connecting cable to the LED sensor (in rear of the printhead) may have come adrift.

Newer printer designs appear to make this sort of instance a lot more difficult but it's still worth checking..

@PeterBJ 's manual will certainly help with that too...

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
that manual will NOT help.. its for the OLD epson 1500 build back in 1996 (??)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for the info. I did a new search for a service manual for the newer Epson Stylus Photo 1500W, but sadly found none.

I have edited the post in the service manuals thread, adding that the manual is for the old 1500 model, not the much newer 1500W model.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just as a note, the 1500W has a case layout very close to the R1900, R2000 and R2880 so any manuals available for those models might provide some useful clues if not direct information specific to the Photo 1500.