Epson SC-P900 - blocking in USA

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P900
Hello.
I live in Europe, I bought a new P900 printer in the United Arab Emirates, Dubai. And they sent me a printer for America that runs on 120V, I have 220V. Buying a 220-120 adapter is not a problem. I heard that the printer for America is blocked, you cannot use third-party ink and reset the chip. I don't quite understand what the blocking is. How can this be fixed? How can you bypass the blocking and print normally? I live not in America, but in Europe, in all printers for Europe you can reset the chip and use refillable cartridges. Help me deal with this problem. I can't return the printer.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It's the printer firmware to my understanding how it handles the signals from the cartridges; cartridges got a serial number in their chip, and the firmware rejects the use of a given cartridge/serial number a second time; you can buy chips for replacement from China or a tricky adapter for all cartridges which are loaded with a number of x serial numbers which get used one after the other . I don't know whether it would be possible to swap out the firmware of the printer from the U.S. version to the European version.

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P900
Today I saw a comment on a YouTube video
They said about the serial number of the printer that is supplied to the USA.
quote "in the N America, Canada amd S America, the firmware is locked to a set # of serial codes"
There is no exact information, I am more inclined to the version of serial numbers special for America. The firmware sees the serial number and does not detect the chip after a reset, in my opinion this is the most logical explanation. In any case, you need to check.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The issue is with serial numbers of cartridges, the printer firmware reads them and stores them in the printer and prevents re-use of cartridges which have been resetted. The firmware can verify that the serial numbers have been created with a cryptographic formula which has not been cracked yet. But cartridges - can be re-used on other printers - one time. This is something Epson is doing since more than ten years - you can reset and re-use regular OEM cartridges not on the same but on another printer of the same type - one time. This means that some cartridge code of a cartridge is stored in the printer for comparison. But all this does not help to bypass the printer blockage you have.
Replacing the motherboard is only a theoretical option, you may use one-time chips or a chip decoder board which interfaces in between the cartridge chip and the contacts in the printhead carriage. This decoder board comes with a number of cartridge serial numbers - I read about something like 30 - and emulates the cartridge chips. Such decoder board cost about several hundred $ the last time I saw it advertised.