Epson R220 - great, cheap printer

rconn2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all -- just registered and and want to make a few posts to share info. I recently bought an Epson R220 inkjet, which is sold everywhere it seems for about $99 and I have nothing but praise for it. In fact I'm buying another for my gf, and have made it a point to tell co-workers and family that this is the one to get (I'm often asked for such advice). It's one of the few products I've purchased that I have such high regard for... and I'm typically straightforward critical.

It does great photo prints. Like I said, I'm not inkjet experienced, but there's a wow factor with this printer.

It prints on dvd's. In the US, I know of no other printer (except the more expensive in this series) that do this. for my gf, I decided to go all out w/ a dvd of a special occassion. I used to use avery dvd labels (not the avery cd/dvd labels with the fine print that says not for dvd's -- a whole 'nother topic, but enough for me to steer clear of avery forever), and it's a pita and the labels way too expensive, let alone from what I've read, may ruin the dvd's in the future. So, for $99, why not try this printer I thought (the avery stuff isn't much cheaper!). And it prints dvd's great! I don't want to sound like a cheerleader, but I used TDK -R 8x printable dvd's from CircuitCity and even printed a small collage of photos on the dvd which appear very crisp and sharp.

It's incredibly cheap. The ink itself costs abt. $12 to $13 for each of the 5 colors, and $18 to $19 for the black -- that's between $78 to $84. The printer comes with a full set of such cartridges, so it only costs say $20. That's amazing. And I know, it's the ink where the manufacturer's make the money, but nevertheless, this is practically give away pricing.

The printer software/driver's are excellent. I easily get irritated by stupid, poorly written software. But the Epson Print CD software is well written, designed, easy to use and rich with features. I've, by now, used just about every labelling software out there (and use SureThing for inserts; memorex suks)... and nothing beats this software that comes with the printer for doing cd/dvd labels. And, the drivers are also well written -- the options tab, maintenance tab... very nice.

It's been very reliable. Though I've only had a few weeks, I've printed over 40 dvd's for my gf, along with dvd inserts (front and back that equate to almost 80 8 1/2 x 11 photos)... and haven't had any problems. I've gone into my 2nd set of carts, and now even refilled some with 3rd party ink using a refill kit, and it still prints great.

So that's my experience... highly recommended. I notice that a lot seem to like the canon's... but I have a hard time figuring how an inkjet could be much better... and not for this price.

-- rc