Epson printer is basically useless - any recommendations for another?

Lee Beck

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 640 and WF-2750
I've had both Epson and HP printers. My most recent is an Epson 610 and 640 printers. After trying after-market ink for the 610 and having problems, I decided to purchase another 610 for common jobs given that I already had lots of after-market ink. Found that the 610 is no longer made, so I bought a 640 (I need DVD printing capability). It of course uses different ink, so I decided to use my 610 for printing just text and other non-critical items and save the 640 for stuff that I really want to look good. This reasoning worked for a while but tonight the 610 was printing terribly. The print test pattern looked bad so I did a nozzle cleaning and found that the blk cartage was low.

Long story - but I wound up replacing blk, photo blk, yel, and cyan and doing nozzle checks and head cleaning several times. I now have practically full capacity for all colors and still get unreadable print. The 640 still prints okay. I recently replaced the initial cartridges on the 640 with high capacity OEM replacements - at about the same cost as the printer.

I refuse to continue to use Epson after the 640 dies. Is there a more reliable ink-jet, DVD printable printer on the market?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you are raising the age-old question who is reponsible for these problems doing refill - Epson as the printer manufacturer or the cartridge supplier or the ink supplier or the user doing that. It is not clear from your description to exclude this or that reason. Lots of problems are not nozzle problems but caused by ink flow issues but just look like missing nozzles. It may very well be that one printer model is more reliable with refill than others but every type has its own typical problems. If you are looking for a printer with CD print, no refill issues, cartridges and alike you may look to a model with attached ink tanks like the Epson L800/850/855 which you just refill with inks as needed , Epson inks are much more affordable in bottles or you choose a 3rd party offer for them. I'm not familiar with Canon printers with a CD print option.