Epson Photo R230

David Hoffman

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I just bought this unit to print cd's only as I have a small recording studio and wanted to enquire if refilling the cartridges is viable ,I have been told by a retailer they are quite complicated and easier to get a new cartridge Generic type for about $11.00 aus dollar.He claimes they use a lot of ink in the refill because of air locks etc.also they have 6 cartridges numbered TO491-TO496
any comments?

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi David,
I have an Epson r200, r220(dead) and r260 all cd printers, I paid Can$119 for the r269 last Christmas and yesterday I saw the same printer selling for Can$49 in the store. The printer uses 6 cartridges of the 78 series, each selling for $16 each or more for genuin epson brand. I have a set of generic cartridges but even the compatibles costs $8 or more, so one set will be 6x8=$48, still too much I think.
I also just bought a Canon ip4300 which also prints cd's. It has 5 cartridges each cost $18.50, one set comes with the printer, but they are refillable cli-8 cartridges. To refill them may cost about $2, 2x5=$10 but you have to learn to refill them. For me the saving is well worth the effort. Just look around this forum and you will learn the refill method. I personally use what they called the German method but you can do it some other ways too.
By the way I am not working for Canon nor Epson, I just love to print a lot.

David Hoffman

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks so much Itsang I usually refill my canon with no problems but the chip reset etc and the ink factor as in light magenta and light cyan it may be easier to get the generic thus far so far I ave printed 100 cd,s for my own recording and only used 1/4 of tank so it's pretty good and anyone else who uses it will be paying for a new set of generic carts anyway in the cost of the recording

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think you are saying the Epson printed 100 cd,s and only used 1/4 of the ink according to the ink indicator. Yes, I printed over 50 4x6 photos and the ink indicator showed less that 1/2 ink being used, I and I was quite happy with the ink consumption. Right now I am still on my 3 set of cartridges on my r260 after 9 months. One thing I can share with you is that if you want the printer to last, you don't use the ink to the last drop. I changed all 6 cartridges at the same time when one of the color shows a warning signal. when you have to change cartridges, you do not take the cartridge out and go the store to buy another one or have it refilled. You have to have the cartridges ready besides the printer, once you unplug the emptied cartridge, put the new one right back into the printer.

David Hoffman

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
ltsang said:
I think you are saying the Epson printed 100 cd,s and only used 1/4 of the ink according to the ink indicator.
Yes this is correct and so far think this is better on ink than my canon but at least I can reink the canon without any trouble but it doesn't do cd's
thanks again