Epson P6000 Ink Smudges/Lines

wardworld

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P6000, Epson R800
I'm getting ink smudging/lines near the edge of my paper. This only recently started happening, but it's pretty consistent now. I've done the nozzle cleaning several times and it really doesn't seem to make a difference. Anything I'm missing here?
IMG_5493.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
are you printing roll paper in this case ? Since when does this problem occur - e.g. after changing the paper type ?
Do you have an option in the driver for paper thickness or the platen gap ? Is the cleaning unit clean otherwise - no ink smudge sitting on the foam pads ? Please have a look as well to the left side of the print path - there is most likely a foam pad - a location where the printhead releases ink during cleaning cycles - pigments can build up there - on a P600.
Are you referring to a P6000 printer or a P600 printer model ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm getting ink smudging/lines near the edge of my paper.
Two things that can cause that are old ink on the underside of the print head and your media not been perfectly flat, if you have a bow or a curve on your paper this will cause this issue to occur.. Try increasing the platen gap and or clean the underside of the print head…..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
if it's with a P6000 you may check the underpressure settings in the driver - the printer uses underpressure to suck the paper flat in the print path, the driver should let you increase it for tightly curled paper , and increase the platen gap/paper thickness as advised above.

wardworld

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P6000, Epson R800
Thanks for all of the replies - it is indeed a P6000 and yes, it's EXTREMELY curled roll paper (more so than I've ever printed on - Moab Bartyra Rag). I also have been getting the "time to replace the maintenance box message" so it could also be that as well.
Here's my plan:
1. Replace the maintenance tank (I've ordered it)
2. Try printing on sheet paper to see if the issue still occurs;
3. Replace the roll paper and adjust the platen gap/underpressure (though I'm not familiar with the underpressure setting in the driver - I'll have to find it).
-Daryl

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Printer drivers vary - I can set both the paper thickness and the paper suction in the driver for my Pro7600.
You may contact Moab, explain them the situation and ask them whether they have a similar paper which is not that stiff as this one e.g. another textile version

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
it's EXTREMELY curled roll paper (more so than I've ever printed on - Moab Bartyra Rag)
Could you not roll the paper back on itself around something like a brush pole to get it a bit more flat and acceptable for your printer.. But wear gloves when handling..

wardworld

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P6000, Epson R800
Yes, I've thought of that as well. Probably worth looking into.

wardworld

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P6000, Epson R800
Thanks for all of the tips - it most definitely was the curled paper. Tried it with another roll paper and the smudges were nonexistent. Still need to replace the ink maintenance tank though!