Epson P600 Warning Message. Am in trouble?

Greatwhitewing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor P600
It would be entirely legal as I see it.

Boy I sure hope you're wrong about that. Car insurance tried a similar tactic forcing you get your car repaired only at facilities of their choosing and lost (I think I have the details correct). Imagine Honda saying you can only use their gas.

Greatwhitewing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor P600
hello print masters,

This is my first interaction in this forum. i just started the process of home printing. ....... to overcome this issue?

thanks all.

Well I am NO printmaster and this may be a little off topic but other than the warning can you describe the process? Specifically did you wait for a low ink warning before cutting in the PC carts/ink? Specifics are appreciated.

First I read there would be a warning. And, as you, I had auto updates on and I think I did a firmware update too. I wonder if there is a way to roll that back?

I also have a P600 and just getting started and, as you, plan to use PC aftermarket carts/inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@John McKissick, Epson are doing something very similar right now with their P800, cars are not like printers just yet but are getting there quicker than we’d all like.

While Epson owns the on-board software, they can do whatever they like, so long as they don’t infringe the purchasers’ ability to use the printer properly, you clearly can’t put gas into a diesel engine and then expect the warrantee to cover it...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You got a new P600 and refill cartridges working o.k. at this time as I understand the situation. Just prevent further firmware updates, disable that function in the driver or deinstall a program which typically comes with the Epson software bundle - an Epson Update installer which installs as a separate program. Next time you may be asked by the driver whether you want to install that Updater again - sure not....You'll have to live with the Epson nuisance notifications about the non-genuine Epson cartrides or you deactivate the status monitor as described above if that helps. The status monitor would give a direct view of the ink status.

Greatwhitewing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor P600
I see what Epson has done with the P800 and one of the reasons I didn't buy it.
What they are doing may be court challenged, maybe not but they are walking a thin line. If aftermarket inks will not work people, like me, may look elsewhere for their printers in either older models or other manufacturers and cut into their market.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Boy I sure hope you're wrong about that. Car insurance tried a similar tactic forcing you get your car repaired only at facilities of their choosing and lost (I think I have the details correct). Imagine Honda saying you can only use their gas.
If the printer still works but offers only an "aftermarket" mode with reduced performance, they still would be ok, they could always make the excuse that this mode is to preserve the printer in case of incompatibility etc.

Processors and memory are relatively cheap these days.....that increased processing power has not been unleashed as yet. It's simply a question of what is needed in the marketplace and not what is possible as it stands.

The question of firmware on the P800 is interesting as officially the compatible chips available now will work on EU models but not NA models. Obviously this was "planned" by Epson. Why is Canon looser on the EU vs. NA? In contrast, Canon gives heavy rebates in NA but not in EU. Obviously different markets and intentions.

Taksmon

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805, SC-P600
I see what Epson has done with the P800 and one of the reasons I didn't buy it.
What they are doing may be court challenged, maybe not but they are walking a thin line. If aftermarket inks will not work people, like me, may look elsewhere for their printers in either older models or other manufacturers and cut into their market.
It's one reason why I picked the P600 as well. It's a shame to see them locking things down since I've seen Epson printers as having a lot of potential through various alternate software, inksets, hardware hacks etc.

I'm not impressed by the "regionalization" of all these printers as well. The P600 is actually branded as the P608 here, and takes T761 cartridges. I haven't tried putting one of those carts into my NA P600.