Epson LQ-2180 - No Cover

Moth

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson LQ-2180
Sorry if this isn't the correct section for this. I saw sections for Epson inkjet printers, as well as laser printers, but as far as I can tell, there isn't one for dot matrix printers.

I recently bought a used Epson LQ-2180 dot matrix printer. I'm hoping to get it up and running. The printer appears to be in good shape, turns on, and functions as expected according to the manual. I'm using a DB25 PCIe card, and my computer (an old one running Sparky Linux that I've set up just for this) detects the printer just fine. I was also able to load paper into the printer. My current problem is that the printer came without the printer cover (as well as the paper guides, but that's less of an issue at the moment), and refuses to print as a result, with the "pause" light lighting up and the printer beeping three times, as described in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

I would buy a replacement cover, but they seem to be virtually nonexistent online, and the few places I've been able to find them, they were very expensive. My current plan is to make a new, makeshift cover, but I have not been able to find any information online about how the LQ-2180 detects that the cover is in place to allow printing. Could anyone who has this printer or a similar one give some information about this, or take some close-up photos of how the cover connects to the printer?

Moth

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson LQ-2180
Service Manual found with Google search on "LQ-2180 service manual".

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/lq2180/lq2180u1.pdf

What are you going to use a dot matrix printer for?
That's the manual I've been referencing, yeah. Sorry for not linking it. The pictures in the manual are too small, and at the wrong angle, to really glean anything from for this.

The main thing I want to use it for is printing on some large, cardstock-like paper. I've got a couple other things I might try experimenting with too, but for now, I just want to get it working.
If your capable of 3D printing, then why not make a cover yourself..;)
Yes, that's the plan, but I can't find measurements or information about how the cover connects to the printer. The latter especially is important, as the printer is capable of telling when the cover is not on, so simply printing something that covers the printer but does not properly mechanically interface with it would presumably not work.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
hat's the manual I've been referencing
I was hoping it would show you where the cover is attached so you could investigate further and find the sensor or latch(es) that signal the cover is down. Then it's a matter of a workaround, eg toothpick.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
how the cover connects to the printer.
If you look at photos of the printer that can tell you how much area the cover covers, as this is an older printer you’d be looking for a micro switch of sorts, because sensors were not used back then..

Check both sides of the printer that is supposed to be covered and you may get luck and spot something that might indicate a switch position.. Check every little hole..
P.S. you can measure the size and area yourself and print off a test cover..

Moth

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson LQ-2180
If you look at photos of the printer that can tell you how much area the cover covers, as this is an older printer you’d be looking for a micro switch of sorts, because sensors were not used back then..

Check both sides of the printer that is supposed to be covered and you may get luck and spot something that might indicate a switch position.. Check every little hole..
P.S. you can measure the size and area yourself and print off a test cover..
Yeah, I figured it would be something mechanical, not a sensor, but I've already examined it quite a bit and haven't been able to figure out what it is. Guess I'll just have to keep looking. If I find it, I'll respond to this thread with it, just in case someone else is ever faced with the same situation, as information on this printer beyond the manual seems to be pretty sparse.

And yes, I can measure it myself, which is why I considered finding the mechanism that tells the printer that it's covered to be more of a priority. Having exact measurements would've just sped things up a bit.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
On page 29 in the service manual found here. not the user manual a schematic named Figure 2-8 sensor circuit shows that the cover sensor is a switch. It must be possible to find that switch and cheat it like suggested by stratman.

But the sensor switch is most likely a safety device. The "printhead" with its needles might get hot during use, A strong motor might move the printhead so you shouldn't put your hands down into the printer when it is switched on and high voltages might be used to make the needles react fast.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I used Google to search on "epson lq-2180 parts list"

Note part numbers on Page #1 in the following link. Google search on the part number of interest may yield more info and where to buy.

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/lq2180/lq2180pg.pdf

Also, see page 25 of the above PDF, step # 11 for some insight on the printer cover. Is the "click" an audible sign that the sensor is engaged/disengaged and you may start printing?

Example of available parts to purchase:

https://compassmicro.com/products/dot-matrix/lq-2180.html