Epson L1300 using pigment + dye

prawntoe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
L1300
Good Morning,

I have an Epson L1300.
Currently it's using original 664 dye ink (CMYKK).

However, I am thinking to change both blacks to pigment (photo pigment).
And CMY remain dye.

The reason is because I print some stickers/decals only in b/w and I want these to be waterproof and uv resistant.
I plan to continue to use this printer for photo / office stuffs after the change.

Has anyone tried this ?
Will this work ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rog

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, why not, but keep an eye on photo printing - the (photo) pigment ink may cause an irritating look on some papers - give it a try both with the gloosy or matte paper setting.

prawntoe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
L1300
Dear Ink stained Fingers,

Thank you for your reply.
I really appreciate it.

Yes I certainly will try this out.

I have another question.

When I print something that is 100% black (C0 M0 Y0 K100 or R100 G100 B100), will only the black ink be used ? or the printer will mix the colors to make black ?

Will there be at some point (settings) that the pigment K and dye for CMY, will be mixed together to make a color ?
Just wondering how it will turn out if pigment is mixed with dye ink (or this will not happen ?).

I hope you understand what I mean.
Sorry if I explained it poorly my English is quite bad.

Thank you.

Rog

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You need to try it out - but Epson typically does this with the 4 color printers - the ink in the black cartridge will be used - a black dye ink or pigment ink - matte or glossy - if you select normal/copy paper, inkjet or matte paper in the driver, and the black will be mixed from CMY if you select a glossy paper. But you can try to use the matte paper setting and print on glossy paper which may makes sense if you use a dye black or a photo pigment black , not a matte pigment black.

Black is RGB=0 not 100

Last edited: