Epson Inkjet Driver(s) Nuances

RipR

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a very abstract question about the specific capability of the Epson Workforce 30 printer and driver to support a particular printing configuration.

I seek this capability to support the creation of large genealogical charts. I don't really require color, I seek an inexpensive printer that will generate banner type output.

The documentation indicates that this printer is capable of producing up to a 44" wide (or length) x 8.3" high output. Other printer brands (drivers) do not offer a 44" width capability.

My observations and experience are based on the performance of a Epson Stylus C120 which died of acute ink clogging. And prior to that, an Epson R800 that had the desired capability but also died of the clogging disease.

How does the Workforce 30 printer respond to a continuous sheet feed (ultimately a roll feed) that is greater in length than the page input entered into the print driver setup?

There appears to be a differentiation in result between printing an extended single page and multiple extended page printouts.

The single page seems to print satisfactorily, but multiple pages "crash" after the first page is printed. This "crash" is characterized by the printer cycling page feeds without any printing nor pause of any sort after printing page #1.

What I would like to propose is a Workforce 30 owner perform the following test:

Set-up a page width of 15" in a program that will permit such a size.
Generate a banner document approximately 30" long (2 page). (A single long line of text would be satisfactory)
Load the printer with ~36" piece of paper (you may need to find someone with a 36" wide format printer and beg a blank 36 x 8.3 sheet or two be cut off - maybe at a Kinko's?)
Set-up the printer driver to print 15" pages, insert the 36" long paper (from the rear), and print "All Pages"

What happens?

The key is the capability to print multiple pages. by reducing the margins to the least possible makes the intrapage feed gap very, very small and offers a virtually seamless chart of any length.

Nuances may include the paper sensing logic built into the printer. There are higher cost Epson printers that are capable of continuous sheet (roll) printing but I am trying to manage costs.
Additionally, the accuracy of the 90 degree edge cut of the input paper may be a factor. I am uncertain of their driver capabilities (today's versions).

So, are there differences in the Epson drivers based on model?

What annoys me is that the R800 worked great (when it worked!) and to eliminate this capability was retrogressive.

Anyhow, comments, experience, a possible test, and vectors to potential other sources of info on The Internets would be appreciated. (Anybody know someone who dissects Epson printer drivers?)

TIA
Rip

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you should seek software that would allow poster printing of any size by tiling the pages.

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.ronyasoft.com/products/proposter/

I haven't used this software but there are other things like it and even Qimage can create tiles. So I am not sure you are bound by the printer brand to obtain what you seek.

Regarding your experience with the death of printers, I am puzzled at the number of problems experienced and wonder if your source of ink/cartridges was a common element. Did you experience these problems with genuine Epson cartridges as well? If not, then that is something you might want to consider.