Epson Firmware update - A heads-up [Warning!]

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the R3000 and I installed the June 2, 2011 firmware update AS27B4 around the 2nd week of June 2011 while I was still using OEM Epson inks. In Dec of last year I started using Cone inks and refillable carts. I also reinstalled the R3000 printer drivers about 3 or 4 times for one reason or another and I haven't had any problems regarding my refilling my ink carts. Since my R3000 is running perfect, In the future if any new drivers or firmware appear on the Epson website I will not update my printer. Epson may use the ole Eye in the sky trick to try to end my use of 3rd party inks which in no way I will give up.

Andrew

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hi Andrew,

I had similar information regarding the R3000 from another vendor here in the UK with more experience of that model than myself. They mirrored the experience you've had with regard to the firmware (up until 3 months ago, when I queried it, at least).

It's possible it's an unintended consequence or that some chips were targetted over others... Hard to tell but given that firmware changes during production runs generally break compatibility with third party chips it'd be a stretch to think they'd change the policy now.

Silverino

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Here is how to find out what firmware your Epson is currently using, without allowing it to go online.

The firmware version is displayed when you connect to the printer using the network connection. On my Epson Artisan 730, this was through the Ethernet connector, which is next to the USB connector.
Of course, you can just network the printer and using Network and Sharing (Win 7) or Network Connection (XP), determine the IP address of the printer.

But given that there is the possibility that the networked printer, if connected to the internet, might try to upgrade its firmware, I didn't want to allow the printer to be able to connect to the internet, ever.

I ran an ethernet cable from the Epson Artisan 730 ethernet jack directly into the ethernet jack on my computer. My computer was not connected to the internet when I did this.

Then I found out the IP address of the printer, using these steps (from the manual):

Printing a Network Status Sheet
You can print a network status sheet to help you determine the causes of any problems you may have using your product on a network.
1. Press the Home button.
2. Press the arrow buttons to select Setup and press the OK button.
3. Select Wi-Fi/Network Settings and press the OK button.
4. Select Confirm Wi-Fi/Network Settings and press the OK button.
5. Press the Start button.
6. Press the Start button again to print the network status sheet.

Halfway down the printout page, it listed my IP address as 169.254.133.56

Because the printer is not properly connected to the network, I got a "169" (meaning an error) address.

When I put this address into my internet browser (Firefox), presto - I was into the printer and it's setup page. On that opening page it lists the firmware version. My relatively new Epson Artisan 730 is "Current firmware version WS13C4 36.36"

Then I disconnected the ethernet cable. The printer still prints fine from the USB port, as before.

Now is that the firmware version that will reject compatibles or a CIS? I don't know.

Will installing compatibles or a CIS hurt my printer in any way? I don't know.

Maybe someone else here knows that?

phkhgh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Maybe BAD news for me & new owners of Epsons?

Just bought a WF 3540 late Mar, 2013. Downloaded software / driver pkg, instead of using CD - to get latest ver.

To my surprise, after installing software, it seemed finished. Suddenly, it "announced" on my monitor, it was "now checking for firmware updates." No warning before, no option to accept / decline, nor to stop action. Trust me, I didn't click "check for updates" - for ANYthing. It only took a few sec & said it'd installed firmware (whether it did, or just didn't find any newer - dunno).

That was FIRST time I'd ever seen ANY product automatically check / install firmware. What if I didn't WANT the newer firmware?

Anyway, based on this thread, am I screwed now for using aftermarket refillable carts?

Unless there's a way to get around what has been discussed (so CAN use refillables), or a way to revert to earlier firmware, I might just take this unit back & get another. Hopefully, I could find how to stop / opt out of auto firmware updates??
Thanks.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
phkhgh said:
Maybe BAD news for me & new owners of Epsons?

Just bought a WF 3540 late Mar, 2013. Downloaded software / driver pkg, instead of using CD - to get latest ver.

To my surprise, after installing software, it seemed finished. Suddenly, it "announced" on my monitor, it was "now checking for firmware updates." No warning before, no option to accept / decline, nor to stop action. Trust me, I didn't click "check for updates" - for ANYthing. It only took a few sec & said it'd installed firmware (whether it did, or just didn't find any newer - dunno).

That was FIRST time I'd ever seen ANY product automatically check / install firmware. What if I didn't WANT the newer firmware?
I'll be interested to see if this was a setting you inadvertently accepted as part of the standard installation (ie: could be blocked if you used custom installation options)... Either way, we'll have to wait until someone else reports on this.

Anyway, based on this thread, am I screwed now for using aftermarket refillable carts?
Honest answer... I don't know... You might have problems, you might not... Only way to tell is try them out.. Possibly contact a refillable cartridge reseller on here and see if they'll offer a quid pro quo to see if there is or isn't a problem so you can both troubleshoot it.

Unless there's a way to get around what has been discussed (so CAN use refillables), or a way to revert to earlier firmware, I might just take this unit back & get another. Hopefully, I could find how to stop / opt out of auto firmware updates??
Thanks.
Keep us posted... Information like this is the reason we're able to keep each other in the loop.