Epson ET-4850 - Latest Drive Issues

TX-Techman

New Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
et-4850
I purchased this printer a few months ago and had issues initially where it would not print if I was not connected to the same 2.4 band. I talked to support and worked through a couple of things and it worked. regardless of whether my PC was on the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band. Fast forward to yesterday and it quit printing and just came up with an error every time I printed. I ended up restoring factory defaults and reloading the driver on my PC and once again it worked fine. Later in the day it automatically updated the driver and this morning will not print.
I contacted support, the first line support was worthless but finally got it escalated to tier 2 support. The tech explained that the printer was 2.4 only and I had to be connected on the 2.4 Ghz band before it would work. I questioned him heavily and even asked about connecting the printer via CAT5 and he reiterated that even then the laptop must be on the 2.4 band or it would not print. I tested this and sure enough if I am on 5G and print, I get an error, but if I switch to 2.4 it will then print.
The techs solution was to upgrade to the ET-5850, so my thought is they updated the driver purposely to do this. I have never seen a device on either of the bands or wired that could not communicate with each other.
I am a software guy, and I would like to know if other have experienced this issue. If you are having this issue, please message me or respond to this thread, we need to put a stop to this and possibly file a class action lawsuit, this is totally ridiculous.
I am past the return date for Office Depot but the manager recommended it so I plan to return it this weekend and if they won't accept it, I will try disputing the charge. I hated all the instant ink mess and a few issues with HP but guess I will go back to HP! One thing for sure, I will never purchase another Epson product.