Epson CX5400 Prints Blank pages

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This is a really old topic but since I have new information I wanted to share it with those people that watch this forum. There is another web site forum call "Fixyourownprinter", that I watch from time to time. For some reason it gets about 100 more posts in a day than this forum. I don't underand why. Anyway, back in June of 2005 a person started a thread on that forum about his bad Epson CX5400 printer and how it would only print blank pages. Pretty soon there were dozens of people posting the same complaint. After a long time, almost a year, another person discovered the problem and posted a link on the web site to his solution. The problem was that it was a pretty messy fix as one of the ink purge tubes had come of in the printer and no ink could be sucked anywhere.

This went on all of 2006 and most all of 2007 an so many people got mad at Espon they started calling the customer service and compaining about the "Design Flaw" in that printer. The flaw was that if the printhead ever became clogged, the customer kept trying to do cleanings, which did nothing but pump more ink into the bottom of the printer. Soon the ink carts would go dry and of course the people kept doing more cleanings. This actually caused the ink to "DryUp" in the purge unit. So then the printer refused to do any more cleaning or anything because the ink carts were empty. So people bought new ink carts and installed them,.. and immediately started more cleanings. This built up pressure in the purge tubes and because of the design flaw, the tubes burst apart and come loose from the suction pad. So the customers don't know this and keep on cleaning. All this time the printer logic card keeps track of how much ink it "THINKS" is being sucked out in every cleaning cycle. In actuallity, no ink is going anywhere. Pretty soon the printer locks up again and says these ink carts are empty.

The complains at Epson and the number of people posting bad info about this printer go so high Epson began giving shipping labels to people to send their printers back to Epson. They then sent them back brand new CX6000 printer, that don't seem to have this design flaw. This have been going on for all of 2007 and I can't believe the number of people that have argued with Epson Service Techs and finally ended up with new printers.

Well here is the rest of this story. I have a customer that has a CX4600 printer and when I was testing it I found the exact same problem. I searched the web and found the same problem with all these other people. I called Epson and went through the same complaints and go a lot of "NO NO NO NO', but finally they agreed it was the same problem and are sending me the return package. We will see if I get a new printer or if they just fix the old one. By the way, this printer was 2 1/2 years old and totally out of warranty.

If you want to read some of the old history up to the very last minute, go to this link;

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/29681#125