Epson CX11NF smearing output with toner (toner recently replaced)

itm60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson CX11NF
I recently replaced the black toner cartridge on my Epson CX11NF multifunction, It's been fine for a few weeks, but is now smearing every printed page with a large streak of black/grey toner - see image here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zNMiu0T-OWfDOf2RRzVP2990hAc1LFOi/view?usp=sharing

I guess that this requires something to be cleaned or wiped - I was wondering whether anyone could offer any advice?

itm60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson CX11NF
I also notice that the photoconductor is covered in black toner - see here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3gZDyLvayKC1hFQT9

If I I wipe it clean and print another page it's covered in black toner again. Is this normal, or could it be that toner has leaked from the black toner cartridge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@itm60, Toner printer diagnosing it not very precise because we don’t know exactly what has been done to the printer to cause the problem it now has, it may have been done very incidentally and you weren’t aware that it could cause the issues you now having.

1) Black banding is usually cause when the Corona fails or the wire cleaner is not in the home position..
2) if the corona wire is dirty, then try cleaning it and if the problem continues then the only other alternative is to replace the drum unit..

itm60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson CX11NF
Do you know how/where I could identify the Corona wire in the above photo?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Do you know how/where I could identify the Corona wire in the above photo?
Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the wire cleaner (blue tab) to the right end and left end several times.
Return the cleaner to the home position before re-installing the drum unit.
Capture2.JPG

itm60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson CX11NF
Hmmm...that assembly doesn't look anything like my drum unit. I can't see a blue tab anywhere, either. The printer is a CX11NF
???