Epson Colour Stylus 640 - How to clean print head?

PW

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello,

Please can anyone tell me how to clean an Epson Stylus 640 print head? (I searched the forum but there was no result).
Also, I will need to use a USB/parallel adaptor cable, easily obtained but I am slightly concerned it may not work the printer correctly, the PC is running Win XP Pro 32bit.

I have an old Epson Colour Stylus 640 which has been stored unused for at least 5 years (though it did have part filled ink cartridges in place, but they could have dried out).

I would now like to get it working if possible.

The printer powers up and appears to work, it seems to do a nozzle clean cycle and goes through the motions of printing a self test page. (Both Power on and Paper feed held, release power when starts then release paper feed buttons).

Not surprisingly nothing appears on the paper, but having dropped a little alcohol (semi diluted IPA) onto the 'nipples' (on which the outlets from the ink cartridges sit) and after 10-15 nozzle clean cycles 3 or 4 small fragments (and I mean small fragments!) of the print pattern emerged. But another 10 nozzle clean cycles later it hasn't improved.

I have now also added a little semi diluted IPA to the ink reservoirs in the hope that over a few hours or days it might percolate through to the print head.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PW

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Recently I bought an even older Epson Stylus Color 400, sold as defective. The printer was unused for years.
After I fixed the piece that keeps the carriage belt under tension and I placed back a gear wheel the printer came back to life.
After only two head cleanings the nozzle check for colors was perfect (during storage OEM color cartridge was full) but zero nozzles for black (printer stored with OEM black empty).
Short long story, it took me two weeks to unclog the black nozzles.
Here it is the routine that worked best for me:
With printer off remove the cartridges (case previously removed), unlock the printhead from parking pad, fill parking head with warm cleaning solution, move back the printhead over the parking pad, install back the cartridges (topped with cleaning solution) and let it rest for 12 hours. After this remove the cartridges, fill again the parking pad with warm cleaning solution then gently suck with a syringe and a soft tube attached to 'nipples'. Reinstall the cartridges, power on the printer, do a head cleaning and a nozzle check, see the progress, if any, then repeat from beginning.
As I said, it took me 2 weeks to unclog all 64 black nozzles, and now the printer is working happy at a friend of mine.

Regarding USB parallel adapter, I tried to use one adapter, brand Vivanco, and it did not work, the printer was not recognized neither in linux nor win. Only when connected with parallel cable it was recognized.

PW

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply gigigogu.

I thought it might take days, I hoped it would't take weeks!

Please can you clarify how to:
"unlock the printhead from parking pad, fill parking head with warm cleaning solution"?
(I now think you mean take the printer casing off first. At first I presumed you meant power off to stop the printerhead/ink cartridges when they are in the space where they can be accessed such as when chaging the cartridges).
Did you mean move the print head manually once cleaning solution applied?

As regards the USB/parallel adapter cable:
A local supplier (here in UK) has a StarTech brand cable. Never heard of the brand but they have an excellent customer service and having spoken with them they told me 'nobody has reported their adapter not working with Epson printers'.
Also I have an old Panasonic KX P1124 24 pin dot matrix printer which similarly may work with the USB cable and that just needs a new ribbon.

http://intrl.startech.com/ Their website says "Hard-to-find, made easy". I have no connection with them. I was pleased and impressed when I called them, free call too!

Regards
PW

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First remove the printer case, for easy access to inner parts.

At shutdown the printhead is parked and locked above purge pad. To gain access to pad you can either initiate a cleaning cycle then unplug the printer as soon the printhead start moving, or, after shutdown, you can rotate downward the largest toothed wheel on the left side of printer. This unlocks the printhead and it can be moved by hand.
So next steps would be: move by hand the printhead to left - fill the pad with warm cleaning solution until it pools - move back the printhead to right until the pad is applied to printhead.

PW

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks again gigigogu.

I understand, thanks for the guidence.

I'll let you know how I get on, but maybe that'll be a week or two!

PW

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
This gets dragged out on a regular basis but there's a printhead cleaning manual maintained and supplied by Art Entlich and it's pretty much the definitive guide on Epson printhead maintenance without requiring removal of the head.

Information on how to get it is available here and I'm only linking because the email address is protected from harvest bots (which it wouldn't be on here).

It's more of a passive approach that relies on a cleaning solution wicking up into the nozzles and tackling the clog from below rather than the active approach via the ink receiver posts which can result in the printhead delaminating (if you get impatient or forceful).

All should add to the stuff posted already though... :)

PW

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply websnail... though I fear too late. I was about to post an update...

I think I have broken the 640.

I found that two of the four springs under the purge pad were displaced, one sitting inside the printer the other clearly about to fall out.

I expect I had been too heavy handed draining the ink from the pad, doubly annoying as I had drained a fair bit and was satisfied that and the inky nipples on the printhead had been adequately cleaned.

I retrieved the loose one but didn't have enough dexterity to relocate the other and in the process dislodged a third and you guessed it, that dislodged the fourth. Although I have all four springs I am unable to relocate them without taking the printer apart. In addition because the power was connected the carriage attempted to move unexpectedly and fouled the protruding inkpad. Now the panel is lit up like a Christmas tree. (Black ink, colour ink lights on steady and the paper feed and power lights blinking in time together). I suspect that indicates a fatal error state.

Because of a need to print job applications I have had to buy a new Epson SX130 the cheapest available option simply on a needs must basis. (29.99 / about $25)

So, unless anyone was any better ideas I expect the 640 is now scrap.