Epson cartridges - 78 and 79 - the same?

vishorizons

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello.

My office has an Epson 1400, and I just had to replace a cartridge. We did have the correct "79" replacement, but we also have a bunch of "78" cartridges. We don't have a printer that takes those, and I wonder if someone here ordered them by accident. But looking at the 79 cartridge that just came out of my 1400 and comparing it to the 78, they look identical. Would it be safe / advisable to use up these 78 cartridges?

Thanks for any info!
Doug

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I found nothing online to answer this question however I use 079 remanufactured OEM cartridges that I get for under five dollars apiece that work perfectly and I also have refillable damper cartridges with a RATF (Refill All To Full) chip that I have used before with no problems with a good quality third party ink. The chip stays in the printer and the dampers have a small flip top covered fill hole that I fill with ink using a hypodermic type set up that I got with the kit. Actually they give you six of those, one for each color for the 1400 printer and the inks are close in quality and results to Claria dye based inks that the printer uses. That cost works out to less than fifty cents per refill. ( A lot less I think). I remember that kit set me back a whole forty bucks or about the price of two OEM cartridges and they are made to last years. I hope this helps. and OH! The kit took about 30 minutes for me to set up, I go really slow! Happy Printing! OutOF the inkwell!