Epson C120 Paper Feed Nuances

RipR

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I bought a C120 for it's ability to print up to 44" banner output. I want to use it for genealogical charts and the price point was excellent.

I had a R800 a few years back. My process for printing continuous, long, multiple page charts (see below) worked with the R800. But the ink ultimately clogged out (as Epsons' are wont to do....) and I could not recover the printer. However, I saved the roll paper attachments and made a little mount for them.

I assumed I could set the mount on top of the printer and feed the roll into the C120. It unspools the paper very easily. Previously, on the R800, when the paper roll was used with a 44" length setting in the printer set-up, it was possible to print multiple 44" pages and get a continuous long output. There was a very small space generated by the page feed (page margins set to zero) but not particularly distracting with the finished output.

With the C120 when I attempt the same trick the first 44" page prints out fine but then the printer starts feeding page after page (44" long - I guess - it's hard to tell - it's pretty fast) without printing. I shut if off because I was not interested in seeing if if would eat my entire 100 foot paper roll. It just does not seem to like continuous roll paper.

The possibilities appear to be - revised Epson print driver or there is a paper sensor sequence that looks for the end of a page to clear the printer feed path before "accepting" a new page. This would be independent of selected paper length - be it 11" or on out to 44". If it seeks the beginning of a new page - the continuous sheet should pass the test.

Seeking illumination as to what is going on...... my work-around would be to elect to cut off the roll 44" lengths, print single 44" sheets, and tape them together, but the old process on the R800 resulted in a much more elegant output - a nice long scroll!

Comments?

TIA
Rip

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
A lot of what you've mentioned sounds awfully familiar though but I've no references that would be of any help.

The only thing I can think to suggest is that you print a long thin line on a banner to get the absolute maximum print length and then measure it before cutting your roll into those lengths... Not exactly ideal but as near as I can tell, probably your only option.

In terms of Epsons rational, it's possible they don't want home users able to use one of their cheaper end systems to handle what could be seen as commercial style applications so this limitation may be a deliberate "feature" or it could be a spool limit of sorts... Anyones guess really... Good luck with it