Epson bottled Ecotank pigment inks

X-File

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-16500
Are there any 3rd party pigment ink solutions in Europe to substitute the original 113 Epson?
Hi Avantime,

it's really a great news that Epson sells high quality pigmented ink now in bottles for a really good price - I'm not sure if I would take the risk for a lower quality and the additional work to make new profiles for all papers for these new cheaper inks.
I'm with you when it comes to printer cartridges (spent way to much for this liquid gold myself).

My 16500 runs all with 106 dye ink which seams to be identical to the "Claria" inks. The 106 have been tested for the best light stability so for me they're worth every penny.

TanCoed

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 7750
Epson is announcing new high-end Ecotank-models for business use - ET5800/5850 and ET16600/16650 as A3 models in the range of 1000€ and up. . These models run with pigment inks CMYK - like all other epson printers with Durabrite inks targeted for office applications. The inks for these new models are called Epson 113, and it is the first time that Epson offers bottled pigment CMYK inks available at ecotank ink prices. It is clear that the black ink is for matte papers - copy papers, inkjet papers etc and a photo black is not available. These 113 inks are not called 'Durabrite' , Epson does the same with the 106 inks of the ET7700 which are equivalent to the Claria dye inks but are not called 'Claria'.
I have a set of these inks on order to check for the gamut, their gloss and bronzing on some glossy papers etc. I'll report some findings as the inks are available.
These inks should be a good option for users who like pigment inks for their documents, mainly users of the WF (workforce) printer models, there were no equivalent ecotank printer models available up to now with pigment inks, and it should be easily possible to run existing ecotank printers with dye inks now with these pigment inks instead. The baseline printer mechanism of the lower end ecotank models like the ET-2750 etc is used since years as well in the WF-2010W printer which is offfered with Durabrite pigment inks.
Hello Sir,
Can the Epson 113 Pigment inks replace the original 106 Dye inks in ET 7750? You say, "
it should be easily possible to run existing ecotank printers with dye inks now with these pigment inks instead" However, the word "possible" make you ask this question. THank you in advance.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is a question first why you would run pigment inks instead of dye inks in a ET7750 - do you have specific applications in mind ?

Yes, it is a possibility to run pigment inks instead of dye inks in lots of Epson printers - the printhead takes both, but please be aware that it is not just the printhead to make it work - you might need to do more cleaning cycles, you should give the printer more attention - e.g. for pigment build up around the cleaning unit or on the platen pad catching the overspray ink from borderless printing.

@mikling reported a test to swap dye vs. pigment inks in a XP15000 which uses about the same printhead but uses cartridges

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...on-xp-15000-dye-ink-printer.15803/post-137796

It works but you don't have the additional complexity of the ink supply via tubes in the ET-7750. I swapped inks as well on an old R265 which worked fine, I did it on a L1800 A3 Ecotank printer, it worked fine but the conversion back to dye inks was almost impossible - you have to flush and clean away about every pigment particle, and that took quite a while with lots of cleaning actions, that's the difference to a printer with cartridges which makes that much easier - the ink path from the cartridge to the nozzles along the piezo actuators is much shorter. I even have several cartridge sets - dye and pigment - for a WF2010W which I used for ink testing over time.

So I would not recommend an ink swap in a ET-7750 easily, it's an off-use of the printer - with a risk that you can throw it away after a while and/or the printer keeps you busy with cleaning actions much above the regular level.

TanCoed

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 7750
There is a question first why you would run pigment inks instead of dye inks in a ET7750 - do you have specific applications in mind ?

Yes, it is a possibility to run pigment inks instead of dye inks in lots of Epson printers - the printhead takes both, but please be aware that it is not just the printhead to make it work - you might need to do more cleaning cycles, you should give the printer more attention - e.g. for pigment build up around the cleaning unit or on the platen pad catching the overspray ink from borderless printing.

@mikling reported a test to swap dye vs. pigment inks in a XP15000 which uses about the same printhead but uses cartridges

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...on-xp-15000-dye-ink-printer.15803/post-137796

It works but you don't have the additional complexity of the ink supply via tubes in the ET-7750. I swapped inks as well on an old R265 which worked fine, I did it on a L1800 A3 Ecotank printer, it worked fine but the conversion back to dye inks was almost impossible - you have to flush and clean away about every pigment particle, and that took quite a while with lots of cleaning actions, that's the difference to a printer with cartridges which makes that much easier - the ink path from the cartridge to the nozzles along the piezo actuators is much shorter. I even have several cartridge sets - dye and pigment - for a WF2010W which I used for ink testing over time.

So I would not recommend an ink swap in a ET-7750 easily, it's an off-use of the printer - with a risk that you can throw it away after a while and/or the printer keeps you busy with cleaning actions much above the regular level.
WoW! Your love for this subject and unselfish commitment to advising others is truly admirable. Thank you.