Epson Artsian 827 Screaming deal and ink questions

dclus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post and would like to share the deal I got and my impression.

This was a couple months ago, I started researching ink-jet printers and came up with my best choice which was the Epson 827 All-In-One printer, for my needs. I'm an engineer, so I tend to pound things to death before I make a move... Finely, headed over to my local Office Supply where they just happened to be having sales. Found a salesman and ironically, he lead me blindly right to my choice, karma! Retail was $299, their sale price was $179 then knocked off another $50 for my old printer, which I gladly gave up (a popular brand/model but a troubled machine). So I walk out the door with a $129 printer, happy as a frog.

Set-up and installation was a snap, I was close to my router so ran Ethernet to a port. The user interface is very colorful and a breeze for me to navigate. I am totally impressed and happy with my purchase... I could go on for hours but I won't...

I'm dating myself, but my first printer was a dot-matrix Epson MX-80. Ink refills were easy then, pop out the cartridge, squirt black ink on the ribbon, crank it around a bit, then stick it back in, voila! You would replace the cartridge when the ribbon started to get torn and tattered. Since then the manufactures have gone south trying to force their expensive ink on the consumers using incorrigible methods.

So, that's where I'm at today, I can't afford the Epson premiere ink and would be happy using reclaimed/filled cartridges or fill them myself but with so many choices out there I am clueless what is good or bad... Can anybody please point me in the right direction for good quality reasonable priced ink solution for my Epson Artisan 827. I can't justify a CISS system for the amount of printing that I do.

Thank you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, wherever you go, there you are ! :cool:
Epson 827 ink-jet printer, Roland GRX-400AR DRAFTING PLOTTER (an antique but still kicking)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Best bet would be a set of refillable cartridges and bulk ink... I'm guessing you're USA based so worth talking to Mikling (on here) from precision colors...

Word of warning though... Worth reading this article re: the firmware and Epsons "helpful" update software:
http://www.wasteink.co.uk/epson-firmware-update-compatible-problem/

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Artisan 827? Is that like an Artisan 837? I see the 837 listed as having a damper/chip set available for $39.95 with 120 MIL bottles of ink at $5.50 each. I think all the Artisans use the same kit and I know my Artisan 725 does. I'm using that set up with good results and zero problems so far. I paid one hundred dollars for the printer and the cartridges would set me back about $108 plus shipping for OEM cartridges. The damper/chip set is a one time cost and the inks total $33 for all 6 colors and each bottle is equivalent to around 10 Cartridges OEM inks and that is 60 cartridges total for all 6 bottles assuming you even get all the ink out of one of those OEM cartridges. All this seems to be the answer to your problem, what do you think?

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've been looking for an Epson 827 but most queries on that number take me to the Artisan 837 model. Did Epson make a 827 or is this a model number that is changed to reflect a different country? Is this printer the same as a model 837? Even U-Tube does not seem to show one.

tdudash

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I got the Artisan 725, same Claria inks, I researched on ebay if there was empty refillable cartridges, there was. I already had some ink from an Epson R380 and the printer works like a champ. I can refill with ease.

dclus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you all, I apologize for fat fingering the model number, it is indeed 837 and I am in the USA.

OutOFtheinkwell, your approach makes sense. So, when the original cartridges are empty toss them (not full size) and bite the bullet and buy a set of quality Epson OEM cartridges.

I searched for damper/chip set and found this inkjetcarts site. Is this what you are talking about and/or do you have a better source?

Does this approach workaround the firmware issue websnail referenced?

I guess last questions, is where to get ink , websnail mentioned Mikling (on here) from precision colors, I have seen that name pop up in other threads. And second, how do you refill the cartridges and what do you need to buy? I have seen several methods for doing this, again, I just got off the boat, so I am pretty clueless...

BTY, you got a better deal then me, LOL

Thank you all

----------------------------------------------------------
Remember, wherever you go, there you are ! :cool:
Epson 837 ink-jet printer, Roland GRX-400AR DRAFTING PLOTTER (an antique but still kicking)

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
OK! That explains it it's an 837 I thought I was missing something there for awhile! Many companies provide excellent CIS systems these day, I personally use Inkjetcarts but others are good and many have a ton of good instructional videos available. As for firmware problems, Epson is of course very busy in trying to keep us all buying their expensive inks and I won't blame them, just can't afford them! I don't download any "Helpful" Epson upgrades that might have a bit of undesirable data on it. There are two ways to go that are really good, you can order the CIS system that uses the tubing and bottles or go with the "Damper Cartridges with the flip top refill set up, ( very easy to refill in the printer) Both are excellent and I have had them both. These days, I only use the tubes/bottle set up when I have a very high use printer and I'm printing 10 or more full color pages a day or more! Otherwise the Damper/chip set up is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. By the way, Epson has there own CIS system printers, with the whole nine yards, tubes/bottles etc. They sell in countries that just will not pay the high prices for the OEM cartridges that Epson sells here in the USA. Yes, after all the years of warning people not to buy CIS systems because they will destroy printers etc, they have got on board with their own CIS, with a system of course that locks you into using their own inks. I will say they have reduced the ink prices for those machines but they are still several times more expensive than the third party inks and in my mind, no better. I don't mean to sound like an Epson basher because I do love their printers, heck I have had 9 of them and I get great pictures from them. I'd love it if they would just stop messing with counters and such and allow the customers the right to do their own thing, good or bad, with the printers we buy! If I want to print until I drown in ink that should be my choice and I sure don't need a company to tell me how to run my own printer. I just had one printer that was shut down by the counter deal and rendered useless that I played with until I got around that situation and it is printing as good as ever right now! There was nothing at all wrong with the printer, it was just shut down by the built in "counter","for my own good, they said". Perhaps now that Epson has it's own CIS system in some printers we can look forward to machines free of all the "counter" garbage! That would be very nice indeed! (Note to epson) "Love your printers". "please free them"! Happy Printing, outoftheinkwell!

dclus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you outoftheinkwell, you shared a ton of good information. I connected up with Ross Hardie at InkJetCarts and he was a blast to talk to... most helpful and a great sense of humor. Sent me an email with all the latest and greatest so I should be good to go, thanks again!

Remember, wherever you go, there you are :cool:
Epson 837 ink-jet printer, Roland GRX-400AR DRAFTING PLOTTER (an antique but still kicking)

tdudash

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
For refilling the cartridges, until you get it down, wear some disposable thin plastic gloves the first few times if you can find some. The refillable cartridges come with a dull syringe and have a plugged hole in the top. I have a technigque and a "place" for a cartridge when removed, paper towel underneath. You'll get the technique down, 'open the bottle, draw out the ink, fill the cartridge, empty any leftover ink back into the bottle, close the bottle (don't want ANY spills) put cartridge back in, clean out the syringe in a sink". Once you get this down, it's well worth the bit of hassle when you consider the savings. I buy on ebay, make sure the ink is made in Germany, you can find a set of refillable cartridges there, also. Good Luck!

dclus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you tdudash, the techniques are well taken... I've had a lot of chemistry (inorganic/organic) and worked in a research lab for a while and fully understand what you are suggesting... very good points indeed. Do you have an Artisan 837 and if so can you share the e-bay links for your refill kit/ink. Thanks for the point about German ink, I have read that before... cheers brother.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are :cool: